Australia In The Asian Century

Julian2

Australia in the Asian Century

The scale and pace of Asia’s transformation is unprecedented and the implications for Australia are profound. The Australian Government has commissioned a White Paper on Australia in the Asian Century to consider the likely economic and strategic changes in the region and what more can be done to position Australia for the Asian Century.

http://asiancentury.dpmc.gov.au/

I've been asked to make a submission regarding Australian retirees living in Asia.

I did one to an Australian senate sub-committee last year but it was a bit single issue-ish.

I see there's a couple of Aussies here interested in seeing out their golden years in the mysterious East and I'd be curious to know what sort of support they would expect from their government.

(Currently we get fuck all).

Well, it's still a few months to go before I retire and make the move, but after paying taxes for all my working life it would be nice to receive at least a part pension (legally, without lying about your place of residence), but that will never happen ....perhaps you should phrase it as paying us to stay away so that the govt. will not have to subsidise our OAP discounts and freebies ?

If your private income is below a certain level there is no reason why you shouldn't receive all or part of the Old Age Pension.

Currently the government requires Australians who have been working overseas to return and remain in Australia for 2 years should they wish to claim it.

I will have a personal interest in testing this in the courts in the next year or so.

If your private income is below a certain level there is no reason why you shouldn't receive all or part of the Old Age Pension.

Currently the government requires Australians who have been working overseas to return and remain in Australia for 2 years should they wish to claim it.

I will have a personal interest in testing this in the courts in the next year or so.

Yes, but if you are living overseas permanently you cannot claim any pension, unless in a country which has reciprocal social security agreements with Australia (ie NOT Thailand)

"Normally, if you leave Australia permanently you will not be able to continue getting your payment, except for certain pensions. You can continue to get certain payments from Centrelink paid outside Australia if Australia has an agreement with the country you move to."

"Most Centrelink payments and services can only be paid for temporary absences of up to 13 weeks outside Australia and you must remain qualified for your payment while you are absent from Australia (you continue to meet the normal qualification rules for the payment, your permanent home is still in Australia, and you are only absent from Australia temporarily"

Luckily I've got a Defence Force pension which they cannot take off me ....

You're reading the "rules" not the legislation mate. B)

Agreed the defence forces pension is a lot better deal, I've no problem with that, just like the other taxpayers to get a fairer shake.

Australia is quick enough to welcome other pensioners living in their country, over a billion dollars goes into the Australian economy from overseas pensions each year.

Archived