Successful -Refunds From Thai Banks.

up2you2

Yes, foreigners can win disputes against large companies in Thailand!

A high profile case in Phuket's English language press for some time, a Brit who had 300,000 Baht taken from his account by ATM card skimmers has successfully got his money refunded.

This proves that although in this case that he had to take on a bank, an institution, a culture and a country, it was none the less possible and feasible.

Thankfully following this reimbursement, foreigners now do have a recourse in the event you are a victim of ATM fraud in Thailand.

The best thing to do is to visit the Office of Consumer Protection Board, having already exhausted your complaint with those concerned.

Once they're on your side the problem is taken seriously and action will follow!

Phuket ATM scams: Even professionals get caught out:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article12093.html

Phuket Live Wire: Protect yourself from ATM skimming:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article12177.html

Thai banks to review ATM security procedures - BAHT STOP:

http://www.baht-stop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2797

The OCPB deputy secretary-general Office of Consumer Protection Board (OCPB)

The Prime Minister Office

Government Complex

Building B, 5th Fl.

Chaeng Watana Road

Thung Songhong

Laksi

Bangkok10120

consumer@ocpb.go.th

I know its dangerous as hell, but I far prefer to carry a wad of Aussie dollars OS and use the ATMs as rarely as possible - obviously not viable for those of you who live there, but I assume you all have Thai bank accounts and some recourse through those banks in the event of fraud. Its particularly sad that the worldwide banking industry refuses to publish the total amount lost through fraud each year - I expect that its a scary number. One of the more interesting things about living in a free society is that we rarely question how someone with no visible means of support can take holidays in overseas cities. Maybe I have it all wrong - accountants by day and international criminals on weekends and bank holidays. :biggrin:

I know its dangerous as hell, but I far prefer to carry a wad of Aussie dollars OS and use the ATMs as rarely as possible - obviously not viable for those of you who live there, but I assume you all have Thai bank accounts and some recourse through those banks in the event of fraud. Its particularly sad that the worldwide banking industry refuses to publish the total amount lost through fraud each year - I expect that its a scary number. One of the more interesting things about living in a free society is that we rarely question how someone with no visible means of support can take holidays in overseas cities. Maybe I have it all wrong - accountants by day and international criminals on weekends and bank holidays. :biggrin:

i take enough cash to last me 4-5 days and then rely on a particular ATM for cash when needed.

but i had an interesting experience last September when i tried to book a flight to Thailand.

i tried to pay by C/C and it was declined and when i asked at my bank what the problem was i was told it was a random fraud check.

it seemed that as the payment was quite large and that was why the payment was refused.

is seemed the bank done this quite often just to keep an eye on peoples accounts.

stupid thing was that my bank never told me there was a problem,i only knew because the airline i tried to book with kept contacting me about the situation.

i take enough cash to last me 4-5 days and then rely on a particular ATM for cash when needed.

but i had an interesting experience last September when i tried to book a flight to Thailand.

i tried to pay by C/C and it was declined and when i asked at my bank what the problem was i was told it was a random fraud check.

it seemed that as the payment was quite large and that was why the payment was refused.

is seemed the bank done this quite often just to keep an eye on peoples accounts.

stupid thing was that my bank never told me there was a problem,i only knew because the airline i tried to book with kept contacting me about the situation.

Always let the bank know your going overseas BEFORE you go.

Saves the problem. Their only protecting you.

Always let the bank know your going overseas BEFORE you go.

Saves the problem. Their only protecting you.

i always do but always successful.

my last trip i informed my bank of my travel dates and where i would be using my ATM card.

but it would'nt work in BKK and only 1 machine on Phuket.

but no prob;ems in China.

Archived