Status Of Washington Square Bars

The_Munchmaster

did a walk through WS or better what is left of it last night...

only Easy Pub and Square One are still open but both were completely empty, no guests, no girls and then the two open air bars at the entrance from Soi 22

they already demolished the houses from former Silver Dollar to Cat's Meow

As HT said the only drinking options in WS are now,

Easy Pub

IMG_5017.jpg?t=1349520986

Can have quite a lively expat crowd mid afternoon to early evening but any later and it's usually dead and depressing.

New Square One Pub, aka Taffy’s Hairy Pie Club

IMG_5048.jpg?t=1349521051

Some of the same crowd to be found in Easy Pub later in the day congregate in Taffys earlier. Not much sign of life after dark.

Streetwalk Cafe

IMG_5049.jpg?t=1349521130

Stays open until the last customer goes home. Sometimes quite busy but fairly quiet these days.

Dennys Corner Bar

IMG_5052.jpg?t=1349521233

Same as Streetwalk Cafe, stays open until the last customer goes home. Very busy most nights now, mainly with the airline crowd from the Imperial Queens Park. Owned by Khun Som who also owns Soms Restaurant and Bar on the right side of the entrance to the Regency Park Hotel.

Sad to see those last two photos, Munchy. Cant say that I spent a lot of time in either bar, but it was obvious to anyone who walked into either than a lot of love (aka money) had been thrown at each of them. I did think the old ladyboy theatre was an odd choice for a brand new sports bar, but I assume the owners were given a killer deal on the rent.

I appreciate overall the flavor/scope of NotTheNation...but that article was just fucking mean-spirited.

It ranged from being simply grossly ill-informed (implying that even the Dubliner is still open) to grossly pandering to WRONG (conveniently so) stereotypes of sex-work customers in Thailand...e.g. that they're all in their 80s, bald, and fat...such a view is convenient because it fits typical Western stereotypes of sex work...and it's bullshit!! At least 50% of the clients of sex workers in Bangkok are young, hot guys in their 20s with washboard abs, who could easily get laid by one of the flabby, doughy cunt bitches their age in the West...

But that reality doesn't fit with Western condemnations of sex work, so it's ignored...

I appreciate overall the flavor/scope of NotTheNation...but that article was just fucking mean-spirited.

It ranged from being simply grossly ill-informed (implying that even the Dubliner is still open) to grossly pandering to WRONG (conveniently so) stereotypes of sex-work customers in Thailand...e.g. that they're all in their 80s, bald, and fat...such a view is convenient because it fits typical Western stereotypes of sex work...and it's bullshit!! At least 50% of the clients of sex workers in Bangkok are young, hot guys in their 20s with washboard abs, who could easily get laid by one of the flabby, doughy cunt bitches their age in the West...

But that reality doesn't fit with Western condemnations of sex work, so it's ignored...

The way I read it, your take on the article is what its all about. Here's the thing, what is 'Not The Nation'? If you can answer 'A (somewhat) humorous poke in the eye with a sharp stick at all and sundry' you get a gold star. Maybe not a good idea to take their reporting in any way seriously.

At least 50% of the clients of sex workers in Bangkok are young, hot guys in their 20s with washboard abs, who could easily get laid by one of the flabby, doughy cunt bitches their age in the West...

Doughy cunt bitches, eh ? Nothing mean spirited there. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about said bitches, but then I don't spent a lot of time thinking about hot young guys with washboard abs having sex, either. The article was clearly a piss take - I probably wouldn't let it ruin my year.

• 2 weeks later...

Was going up to Club Perdomo on Soi 28 last night for a cigar, so took the shortcut through Washington Square as usual to get to Suk, only to find when I got to the Dubliner that the entrance from Suk into WS is now completely blocked off! So had to walk back through WS, down 22 and up Suk just to get back to where I'd already been. :banghead:

IMG_0364.jpg?t=1350561804

Can anyone translate the red letter sign on the hoarding. Presumably something about no access to 22 via WS?

Someone was telling me the other day that WS is going to be developed into a shopping mall, but who knows, many different rumours going around. :dunno: