Sign in to follow this  
The_Munchmaster

Status Of Washington Square Bars

Quickly walked through last week and the Square looked much the same as it had 6 months earlier - decrepit. I have waxed lyrical about the old tart in the past, but I walked away thinking that the wrecking ball would actually be a kindness - difficult to imagine how many rats and roaches will sprint from the upstairs apartments when the time comes. After Sticks recent description of roaches crawling up both legs post-flooding, I pity the poor devils who live and work in the vicinity. We arent just talking poor folk from Isaan, either .....

It didn't close, it moved - maybe a couple of months ago.

It did close. It closed its operation in Washington Square, which is what this thread is about, and opened a new operation elsewhere.

According to Sticks column today the Dubliner will soon move to Sukhumvit Soi 14.

"It has been on again, off again for the past few months but it can finally be confirmed after much speculation - and much denial on the part of the owners of Los Cabos, the Mexican restaurant - that in around a month's time, after renovation has taken place, yes, The Dubliner will finally move to its new home in Sukhumvit's soi 14."

This rumour has been around for a long time so it's probably true but I'm surprised that a bar of the style of the Dubliner could be fitted out in little over a month! :dunno:

I'll miss the old Dubliner. Great afternoon bar for a few beers, a bite to eat and a read of the paper, with a great location for watching the world go by on Suk Road. Also only a few minutes from my hotel on Suk 22. Never been to Los Cabos so no idea what it will be like there, if I ever get there?

Los Cabos is largely open. There are inside dining rooms, but the Friday balloon chasers normally sat outside in the open air. The buffet would be on the veranda (sort of), next to the bar.

I don't really see how the Dubliner is going to fit into it, a very different sort of building. You can judge for yourself by this photo ...

My link