Ekkamai Disco ?

gobbledonk

If you like Japanese food Ekkamai is the place to go, it's got a mall with a plethora of Japanese eats and knick-knacks at a reasonable price.

I'd be wary of hanging out at Ratchada soi 4 and RCA. When I lived on Ratchada went to soi 4 a few times after seeing the throngs of people there, but it's mostly kids. Last time was sitting at one bar having a drink when a Thai couple sat down next to me and struck up a conversation, they were curious to see a falang there alone (and no other falang in site). Asked me where I was from and what not. Nice folks, I asked them how old they were - 19 and 20 - and that was pretty much the norm in that area, same with RCA. Not my thing hanging out with college kids.

That said if you go to places like Hollywood on Ratchada you'll get a wide range of ages and people, though you need to buy a bottle before they even let you in the door.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's called gateway and is connected to the Ekkamai BTS station, you can't miss it (I think it's even on the exit signs).

Heard a couple backpackers criticize it because it's a mall and a lot of the restaurants (but not all) are chain restaurants from Japan - my Japanese schoolmate who loves the place scoffs at this. If the food is good, it's good. And a couple of the restaurants are really good and inexpensive. Also Japanese market on the first floor open 24 hours.

So knowing the Japanese propensity for this sort of thing, do they have a cosplay shop?

There is another "propensity". Japan alone is responsible for 40% of Thai economic growth since 1980 to today.

Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Toshiba, Hitachi, Denso...millions of jobs for Thais.

Corporate Japanese tend to live around Thong Lor, it's even called "Nihon Mura", Japanese village. The nearby Samitivej hospital has their staff have business cards in Japanese and most speak Japanese (Thai nationals).

At any time Thais have 130-150 thousand Japanese living there on serious terms.

Not mickey mouse sanukers.

Archived