Ekkamai Disco ?

gobbledonk

I lived about two and half years about half way down Suk soi 39. From there up to 55 is pretty solid Japanese town. Doesn't do much for me but GF is pretty into it so I like to pay it a little lip service, is that, er um, the right term?

Not mickey mouse sanukers for sure but not the kind I tend to hang out with, just not my thing.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sri Racha also has a large influx of Japanese due to the number of Car Assembly Plants in Chonburi, Rayong and Chachoengsao, there are some Moo Baan and apartment blocks which are Japanese only. Whenever I was in Sri Racha immigration it was 80% Japanese there.

Also a lot of Japanese living in Ayutthaya but that is more electronics than Car Manufacturing.

Thailand is known as "The Detroit of the East" Seventh largest Car exporter in the World and (forgive me if I am incorrect) I think it is the biggest producer of HDD's in the world.

They also pay quite a bit more than Thai companies for Locals who can speak Japanese, a HR manager for a Thai Company may be on 60,000 THB per month, if they can speak Japanese and work for a Japanese company they can pull in in excess off 100,000 THB per month.

Korean companies are also here Samsung have a Manufacturing facility near Lam Chabaeng and an Engineering office at Map Ta Phut.

The impact on the Thai Economy from Japanese and to a lesser extent Korean companies investments is colossal, but they do tend to keep themselves to themselves and live within their own enclaves.

This year Thailand should become 6th largest car manufacturer in the world (75% for export).

HDD: 70% of worlds' hard discs (Western Digital, Hitachi, Seagate) are made in Thailand (Ayuthaya mainly) and 80% of HDD motors.

Travelling from Nagoya (where car manufacturers and industry are based) often have a Thai national sitting next to me. One girl, Chula graduate, told me Toyota trains all new grads in Japanese, 6 months intense course and they all attain the highest level of proficiency. Within Toyota they communicate in Japanese, emails too.

When my daughter was smaller, wife would take her to the park to play. 5 out of 10 times a Japanese woman would approach her and speak Thai. 5 years stints with husbands and family in Thai and company sponsored Thai classes for bored housewives.

I have taught 3 or 4 half-Japanese look krueng in recent years. Never saw that before. In fact, when I came to Thailand in the mid 1970s there was actual resentment against the Japanese. The saying was they flew here on JAL, stayed in Japanese-owned hotels, ate in Japanese restaurants, shopped in Japanese-owned shopping malls ... and shagged Thai women. Nowadays, Japan is very popular and Japanese are welcomed everywhere. Japanese has become a popular university major. Unfortunately, the Thais don't seem to want to learn much from the Japanese. :(

p.s. "Thailand is known as 'The Detroit of the East' ..." Good Lord, I hope not! :rip:

Just to clarify. In my previous post I said:

When my daughter was smaller, wife would take her to the park to play. 5 out of 10 times a Japanese woman would approach her and speak Thai. 5 years stints with husbands and family in Thai and company sponsored Thai classes for bored housewives.

That is happening in Japan. One friend from Toyota reckons there could be possibly around 50,000 Japanese who speak Thai just in Nagoya and surroundings. Mostly women, wives of ex-expats to Thailand.

A Brit friend has made a decent living in Bangkok for more than 20 years teaching Japanese housewives English. He has usually taught them privately, but also has been hired by Japanese companies. He has always received his visa and work permit through a Japanese company. Nice to know the companies are also paying for Thai lessons.

I used to live in a compound which had numerous UN families - US, Hungarian, Dutch, Sri Lankan and Japanese. The children all played together, including the Thais. Their mutual language was Thai. My wife came in one day and asked who the little blonde girl was. Her Thai was perfect. I told her she was one of our American neighbours.

Not yet. Last week court rejected their request for bankrupcy.

In 2008. the losses clunkers makers were raking in:

GM: 2 bilFord:

Chrysler: 1 bil

Ford: 1 bil

a month,

It's 4 billion a month. To build the entire Souvarnabhumi was 5 billion altogether.

Yearly losses of the "Detroit 3" could make 10 airports like Changi or Souvarnabhumi.

At any time Thais have 130-150 thousand Japanese living there on serious terms.

Not mickey mouse sanukers.

Where in this thread did I, or anyone else, suggest that Thonglor might be the place to go in search of cheap pussy ? You're in the Nightlife forum, in the middle of a light-hearted thread about a venue that may never have existed, and you feel the need to give us a history lesson ? Lighten up, ffs.

If you have an issue with weekend warriors, I'd take it up with Thai Immigration.

Didn't Detroit go bankrupt earlier this year. :neener: :neener: :neener::tuxedo: :tuxedo: :tuxedo:

<< The city of Detroit filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy on July 18, 2013. It is the largest municipal bankruptcy filing in U.S. history by debt, estimated to be $18–20 billion... Detroit’s population has declined from a peak of 1.8 million in 1950; recently, the New York Times called the city “home to 700,000 people, as well as to tens of thousands of abandoned buildings, vacant lots and unlit streets.†>>

http://en.wikipedia....roit_bankruptcy

Archived