River 108 Hotel Phnom Penh

Fiery Jack

Okay. Managed to get a flight without blowing the computer up, :applause: so will be in Phnom Penh for 3 days in March. Contacted some hotels that cats have mentioned glowingly on here (namely California 2 and Vellkominn or whatever the f*ck it's called, the one Kamui stayed at) but they're fully booked. Somewhat panicked out of inertia, I got on Agoda and booked (with option to cancel without charge) a river view room in River 108 Hotel. Now, it's perfectly placed for A&A (ale and action) (which, by coincidence, are among my main interests while 'on the road') and looks good — perhaps too good for a man of simple pleasures such as unfussy moi. :drunk: More to the point, in looking posh and classy, it looks liek it might be the kind of joint that might not be guest friendly. :shocked: Can anyone confirm or dispute this educated suspicion, as it would be the clincher for me. :unsure:

All suggestions/advice welcome, since, as I say, I can cancel the River 108 booking gratis and take my trade elsewhere. :nono:

Cheers lads. :monkey:

jack :help:

I've stayed at the River Star before, no rave recommendation, but good location on the river front and guest friendly, this was 4 years ago, I assume it's still the same - info from my vault:

"Reservation <reservation@riverstarhotel.com>"

Dear

greeting from River Star hotel,

Yes, $35 isthe room look to river view with balcony not include breakfast but we free pickup, any services you can arrang from our hotel it OK when you arrive

I wait our reply soon

Regards

Kim

or

http://www.agoda.com/asia/cambodia/phnom_penh/river_star_hotel.html

Eh? Is RIVER STAR the same joint as RIVER 108? I am booked into the latter.

Also, just got a mail from California 2. They have a deluxe room available. It's a bit cheaper and I still have time to cancel the other joint.

Which is my best bet? River 108 or California 2.

To respond to your actual question (which nobody else seems to want to do!), I would cancel River 108 go with California 2, which is guaranteed guest friendly. You are right in being suspicious that the "very nice-looking" hotels may not be GF. Best to confirm first and then perhaps book it in the future.

Eh? Is RIVER STAR the same joint as RIVER 108? I am booked into the latter.

Also, just got a mail from California 2. They have a deluxe room available. It's a bit cheaper and I still have time to cancel the other joint.

Which is my best bet? River 108 or California 2.

Difficult to compare. California is a guest house style, not a hotel, while River 108 looks very stylish.

At California 2 you'll almost always find one of the owners behind the bar, who can give you good advice in regard to all matters Cambo.

The food is quite good - even the Khmer food - and Coffe is free. The girls working there (they are not BGs) are friendly.

WLAN is free and working ok (you can't expect much in Cambo).

In total it is a very pleasant place to stay and you won't find Western families staring at you in disgust while you stagger drunken through the lobby with one or more Khmer girls attached to your arms... devilchilli.gif

By the way, at C2 the standard rooms are without windows.

Difficult to compare. California is a guest house style, not a hotel, while River 108 looks very stylish.

At California 2 you'll almost always find one of the owners behind the bar, who can give you good advice in regard to all matters Cambo.

The food is quite good - even the Khmer food - and Coffe is free. The girls working there (they are not BGs) are friendly.

WLAN is free and working ok (you can't expect much in Cambo).

In total it is a very pleasant place to stay and you won't find Western families staring at you in disgust while you stagger drunken through the lobby with one or more Khmer girls attached to your arms... devilchilli.gif

By the way, at C2 the standard rooms are without windows.

Thanks Kamui, my old pal. Yes, C2 sounds perfectly adequate, in fact just the job. I might just be able to cancel my R108 booking without penalty: am waiting for a reply from the booking site but they're pretty slow on the trigger when there's no money in it for them. :confused:

In the meantime, being a cheeky bastard, I've e-mailed the owner of California 2 (an apparently very switched-on expat sanuk-monger himself, :applause: according to certain folks on here and other sexpat electronic organs) to ask whether River 108 is guest friendly. If C2 man replies in the negative, he'll have my trade. :hubbahubba:

Guest-friendliness is my main concern. Dunno if I'll be bringing shags back — I don't always bother these days, or at least I don't make it a condition of my day :relieved: — but I want the decision as to whether I do or not to be my own, and not a silly-assed 'rule' imposed by some other doss c*nt. :angryfire:

Good old C2 feller will probably tell me to piss off, and quite rightly so. If so, I'm in R108 for better or for worse. I'll let folks on the board know what happens and no matter which joint I end up in, I'll post a rib-tickling and beautifully written review. :up:

• 1 year later...

Way to late to help the OP I'm sure, but I stayed at the River 108 a couple of years ago. I didn't actually ask the question, but I suspect it was no guest friendly. California 2 was booked up at the time due to a rugby tournament.

Nice enough place otherwise. River view was a bit creative--standing at the window, I could see the river in the distance.

Archived