Taxis At Phnom Penh Airport

Fiery Jack

I'll be swinging into PP airport next week from BKK 'on business' :drunk:, mid afternoon. :applause: Never been to PP before. Need to get straight to hotel on Street 108, 'north end of the popular river front entertainment disctrict, often referred to as The French Quarter' it says here. :clown:

What's the score with grabbing a taxi at the airport i.e. to avoid getting royally ripped off/scammed, :nono: and what should I expect to be paying from the airport into town? :twocents: One website says $7: about right? :stupid:

Are the taxis metered or do I agree on a price or whatever? :hmmm:

In ignorance, with thanks in advance for seasoned tips and advice, lads. :beer:

jack :help:

I'll be swinging into PP airport next week from BKK 'on business' :drunk:, mid afternoon. :applause: Never been to PP before. Need to get straight to hotel on Street 108, 'north end of the popular river front entertainment disctrict, often referred to as The French Quarter' it says here. :clown:

What's the score with grabbing a taxi at the airport i.e. to avoid getting royally ripped off/scammed, :nono: and what should I expect to be paying from the airport into town? :twocents: One website says $7: about right? :stupid:

Are the taxis metered or do I agree on a price or whatever? :hmmm:

In ignorance, with thanks in advance for seasoned tips and advice, lads. :beer:

In the future, it's highly recommended that you book a hotel that includes a free airport pickup...there are many. I swear by Flamingos.

At any rate, don't know about taxis--I would expect them to be pretty overpriced, as they're not really yet a "thing" in Phnom Penh--but a tuk-tuk should set you back $7 for the trip to the riverfront. That's not the Khmer price, haha, but it's a decent enough farang price.

Note that there is NO area in Phnom Penh, in any language, that's referred to as "the French Quarter"...maybe 50 years ago, but not today. Just say "river" and they'll get you there.

In the future, it's highly recommended that you book a hotel that includes a free airport pickup...there are many. I swear by Flamingos.

At any rate, don't know about taxis--I would expect them to be pretty overpriced, as they're not really yet a "thing" in Phnom Penh--but a tuk-tuk should set you back $7 for the trip to the riverfront. That's not the Khmer price, haha, but it's a decent enough farang price.

Note that there is NO area in Phnom Penh, in any language, that's referred to as "the French Quarter"...maybe 50 years ago, but not today. Just say "river" and they'll get you there.

Don't take a Tuk-Tuk on arrival. As far as I remember normal cabs have a fixed price from the airport to the center of PP. Around 10 USD if I remember right.

PS: don't be surprised that PP is more expensive than BKK in many aspects (food, hotel, etc.). Only P4P is cheaper.

Don't take a Tuk-Tuk on arrival. As far as I remember normal cabs have a fixed price from the airport to the center of PP. Around 10 USD if I remember right.

Thanks for the advice. Ratchada too. Nice to have a heads up before one gets dropped into the vibrant chaos that is an Asian airport arrivals hall. :doah: For some reason, I tend to disembark from airplanes in a somewhat disorientated state. :drunk:

PP is more expensive than BKK in many aspects (food, hotel, etc.). Only P4P is cheaper.

Oh good. :applause: Looks like I'll be saving some money then. :hubbahubba::drunk::relieved::hubbahubba:

Thanks for the advice. Ratchada too. Nice to have a heads up before one gets dropped into the vibrant chaos that is an Asian airport arrivals hall. :doah: For some reason, I tend to disembark from airplanes in a somewhat disorientated state. :drunk:

Oh good. :applause: Looks like I'll be saving some money then. :hubbahubba::drunk::relieved::hubbahubba:

As long as you don't spend a lot of money on booze and lady drinks... drinking.gifdrinking.gif

And be warned, many of the girls in the hostess bars near the river side *don't go with customers*.

I made the mistake once spending a lot of money on LD's for a girl (and her 'friends' ) which I really, really wanted to barfine.wub.gif At the end she told me that she doesn't go with customers.

banghead.gif

As long as you don't spend a lot of money on booze and lady drinks... drinking.gifdrinking.gif

And be warned, many of the girls in the hostess bars near the river side *don't go with customers*.

I made the mistake once spending a lot of money on LD's for a girl (and her 'friends' ) which I really, really wanted to barfine.wub.gif At the end she told me that she doesn't go with customers.

banghead.gif

where have i heard that before?.

i find many ladies work in bars and are happy with their salaries and any LD's they can hustle and will not go with men.

and i have seen many bars which do not allow a BF,the staff are there to work.

if i see someone i like i will buy a drink and then find out what the BF is,if no BF allowed i move on.

where have i heard that before?.

i find many ladies work in bars and are happy with their salaries and any LD's they can hustle and will not go with men.

and i have seen many bars which do not allow a BF,the staff are there to work.

if i see someone i like i will buy a drink and then find out what the BF is,if no BF allowed i move on.

It used to be that some hotels provide "pick up" service at the airport. You might want to

find out if your hotel has that service.

• 5 months later...

I would guess that this trip has come and gone.

Back to the Flamingos Hotel in Phnom Penh. Airport to downtown is a good 15/20 minutes.

Rates at Flamingo:

Standard Room - $25

Deluxe Room - $30

Superior Room - $35

All rates include Complimentary Breakfast and free Airport pickup

I paid USD $18.00 so I guess it has been awhile since that trip.

I did get a chance for a few long talks with Frank. So that fact will date me.

Archived