Red's Return Part Iii

Redbaron

The taxi ride was frightening at times, but what do you say to a friend of a friend who gives you a lift out of the kindness of his heart... and 1200 THB? Old mate sat in the front, and I shared the back seat with said taxi driver's girlfriend... who was very easy on the eye, and seemed unfazed by the erratic roller coaster ride to Pattaya. Nobody else wore seat belts, and I didn't want to look like a soft cock by slipping mine on, but I was hanging on for dear life.

We stroll into 18 coins - or in my case, hobble, and thankfully get rooms on the ground floor. There was more paperwork to fill in than applying for a permanent residency, but after a long, thirsty half hour we dump our shit in the rooms and kick back for a quiet beer with the driver and his missus.

After he heads back to Ban Phe - shit, shave shower and it's on the town time as the sun starts to descend in the west.

We try a few bars, and eventually have a good feed before venturing into soi 6. A first for me... and we don't even make it past the corner bar. Old mate had snuggled up to a lovely, and I was having a laugh with a girl I'll call Jackpot. Not because I'd hit the jackpot, but because she introduced me to that game where you roll the dice, looking for numbers from 1-9.. You know the one. It seems impossible so we start making bets - you win, I buy a drink, I win, I get a massage (not that kind of massage folks!) Old Red thinks, "This game can't be won," and declares if Jackpot wins this one, he'll pay bar and we'll be up for a big night... you guessed it.

I caught up with Jackpot for the next four nights. It was a pretty wild time. She was definately a drinker which suited me down to the ground. She took me to a Thai "disco" which was more like a stage show/concert type place which I'm sure I would have loved if I spoke Thai, the only song I knew was "Happy Birthday" - coincidentally, it seemed to be the only song any farang knew in there because each hour or so when they sung it, we all joined in... Good value though, 4 litre draught Heineken for 500 THB, which almost made up for the fact every time I went for a leak some Thai guy started giving me a massage mid stream.. Nearly hit the roof the first time.. All good fun I guess. From there we ate at an Isaan BBQ place next door with the football on the big screen. More great value. Got home pretty late that night.

There was another big night among it all where we ended up back at Soi 6 - Pooks bar from memory, you know the one, where the girls aren't quite - well, girls. For whatever reason (hangover I think) Jackpot didn't come, but there were about 5 of us, and after a few beers in Soi 8 we headed to Soi 6. I've got to say, the "girls" were a great laugh, and after explaining that I had a girl in the "loom" they sort of left me alone as far as going with them goes... sort of.. Very hands on these "girls" but it was all in good fun, and a great time was had by all. That was the last night I'd see old mate, who knows what kind of adventures he got up to but last I heard he made it back to the UK and didn't end up on "Banged Up Abroad" or "Brits Behaving Badly" or any other of those "documentaries". From what I hear it was a close call though..

Jackpot also took me to the Elephant Park (Nong Nooch?) which was I thought was awesome, and got some great photos with the new gear.

The only downside, on the last night, she got rotten drunk, threw up and declared her undying love for me. I felt sorry for her, as we've all been there but the lovey stuff was a bit over the top I thought. All in all she was a good laugh though, and even though I had a couple of more days in Pattaya, it was time to say goodbye. The 18 coins had overbooked, and I'd volunteered to change hotels.

Found the ChangThang on soi Dianna which I found top rate, especially after the 18 Coins, where the staff were good, food was good but rooms were a bit rough. Staff at ChangThang were excellent, as was the food, at good prices too. Rooms were awesome. Jackpot thought I was heading to Phuket, and I let her think that. Great laugh, just too clingy.

In the meantime, my airline (Air Australia) had gone broke, so I had emailed the place I usually stay in Phuket who also was a travel agent, and organised a flight home.

(Author's Note: Sorry folks, have to cut this one short, it's my first day back at work. Yes, I work Sundays, no I'm no priest. Thankfully the uniform still fits... may actually be a bit looser than before. Goes to show a diet of Singha, Tiger, Heineken and Leo really does work. Will return to fill you in about "Rihanna" and the rest of the trip asap. The highlight(s) of my trip are still to come.)

Thanks for reading folks...

and I was having a laugh with a girl I'll call Jackpot. Not because I'd hit the jackpot, but because she introduced me to that game where you roll the dice, looking for numbers from 1-9.. You know the one. It seems impossible so we start making bets - you win, I buy a drink, I win, I get a massage (not that kind of massage folks!) Old Red thinks, "This game can't be won," and declares if Jackpot wins this one, he'll pay bar and we'll be up for a big night... you guessed it.

don't admit to playing jacpot for little bets,i was slammed here a few weeks ago because i had the nerve to play the game for drinks with the ladies.

taxis are a strange thing,i only use them for getting from the airport to my hotel and i find the drivers are quite strange.

i wind down the window to get a bit of fresh air and they say no and put the A/C on..

but i am allowed to smoke in the car and while easier for me to exhale the shit out out of the open window,the drivers seem content to close all windows and let the smoke circulate around the taxi interior....strange... :hmmm:

Red

Thanks for trip reports keep them coming.

Sayjaan,

Red was BUYING drinks if he lost, getting a little massage if he won which DID NOT cost Jackpot money whereas you were taking drinks off the girls.

See the difference?

Sayjaan,

Red was BUYING drinks if he lost, getting a little massage if he won which DID NOT cost Jackpot money whereas you were taking drinks off the girls.

See the difference?

:hmmm:

i had good streak with the game but that's not to say i did'nt lose many times AND bought the winner drinks,i remember one bar tab of over 11,000bt in a couple of hours and i was on soft drinks.

and often i was playing 2 ladies and if one of them won i bought 2 drinks for the 2 of them,whereas if i won i only accepted a drink from that particular lady,not both of them.

the ladies were quite happy to play for drinks and if they lost they accepted the fact.

nothing forced upon them by me and their choice.

i would enter the bar and often the suggestion was made to me to play the game.

ok in future if i play the game i will buy the drinks and decline any drinks if i win...........happy?.

different strokes for different folks i guess?.

..., this is post two isn't it?

This appears to be the second post of Reds trip report although it's titled Part Iii. So maybe it's the second part of Part I and then there's going to be a part II, although there might be more than two parts of Part I before he gets to Part 2 or perhaps..........it's just a typo. :confused:

Keep em coming Red. :up:

Thanks for the comments folks.

Re drinks - yep I did buy a few, but the only game Jackpot won was the one with the big bet - I didn't win any but did get a shoulder rub or two.

Re "Part Iii" - that was a typo, it should have read Part III - Part II is in the Part I thread.

I don't start work for a few hours so will add the next Pattaya part soon. IMO this is where the trip gets interesting, as well as the chapter in my mind which is after Pattaya (Phuket).

I was quite dubious walking around with the long lens, and only used the short (wide) lenses walking around (Tamron 17-50 2.8; Canon 18-135). The great white I used at the elephant show, Phuket Fantasea and a few other touristy type places.

Here's one of me kicking back under a tree

680b6dc.jpg

Archived