Problem With Compressing File To Email

limbo

Wanted to compress a file to send to a friend, a rather large file. Right clicked 'compress and send by mail' but since I did that, Outlook has stopped working and the file is being compressed for nearing 24 hrs.

I'm on a small island in the PI so internet is not the fastest. Is there any way to stop the compressing process so I can use Outlook again?

Ctrl-Alt-Del > Task Manager > select outlook and 'end task.' If you can't get task manager up, probably have to shut down PC manually and reboot.

May have better luck zipping the file independent of outlook, and then sending the zipped file as attachment.

I'm on a small island in the PI so internet is not the fastest. Is there any way to stop the compressing process so I can use Outlook again?

Many mail providers have an upload and download quota in regard to file size. Depending on the provider files need to be as small as 5MB or can be as large as up to 20Mb (Gmail for example). Combined with a slow connection it might be impossible for you to send the file by email.

Yousendit it is quite good. Google will show you several other file sending/sharing services.

Not the solution in Limbos situation, but you can use FTP for transfer of bigger files. I've downloaded a copy of a database of 200 MB using ADSL 7 MB real speed. (Today my mobile broadband 3G is around 15 MB, I can upgrade to 4G and will get 80 MB which I don't need.)

Not the solution in Limbos situation, but you can use FTP for transfer of bigger files. I've downloaded a copy of a database of 200 MB using ADSL 7 MB real speed. (Today my mobile broadband 3G is around 15 MB, I can upgrade to 4G and will get 80 MB which I don't need.)

Yep, but you'll need a server/website for to up-/download the file.

Thanks again for all suggestions, it's really helpful.

Made it into an RAR and zipped it but the file is still 211mb and can't send it by email.

The problem with yousendit is that you have to pay for it, although there's a free trial period.

Yep, but you'll need a server/website for to up-/download the file.

Sure but not necessarily a designated server.

That was my first reaction and correct, but starting to think - it's not impossible to use your computer as a server and have a website there (some complications yes and limitations). So why can't you connect directly between 2 computers?

Archived