Problem With Compressing File To Email

limbo

Sure but not necessarily a designated server.

That was my first reaction and correct, but starting to think - it's not impossible to use your computer as a server and have a website there (some complications yes and limitations). So why can't you connect directly between 2 computers?

Others might know better, but I guess the PCs need dedicated IP addresses and you might even need server software...

Made it into an RAR and zipped it but the file is still 211mb and can't send it by email.

Hey Limbo - another possible option - I use dropbox everyday to exchange docs between work laptop and home laptop (work laptop is old HP, it pretty much sucks and because of extensive anti-virus and security configurations - it takes forever to get anything done). But I digress.

On a free account, Dropbox gives you 2GB storage. If you upload a file through the web interface, there's a 300MB cap on file size.

So - create a dropbox account, which I would recommend anyway - very useful. Upload the file, and share it with the recipient.

Hopefully your limited bandwidth won't cause the process to stall out.

Good luck.

Bittorrent

Use bittorrent to send the file. twocents.gif

uTorrent3.0

Easily send massive personal files – e.g. home movies, cell phone videos and hi-res photos –directly from µTorrent. Select a file on your computer, drag it into the µTorrent “Drop files to send†box and µTorrent will create a Web link. When you share this link with others through things like e-mail or social media post, you share your personal files.

Thanks again for all suggestions, it's really helpful.

Made it into an RAR and zipped it but the file is still 211mb and can't send it by email.

The problem with yousendit is that you have to pay for it, although there's a free trial period.

And that is your problem, outlook is limited to attachments not exceeding 20 MB.

You can adjust it using regedit

Type "regedit" in in the Start menu's Start Search field.

Select regedit under Programs.

Under Windows XP, select Run… from the Start menu and type "regedit" followed by Enter.

Travel down the registry tree to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\­Software\­Microsoft\­Office\­14.0\­Outlook\­\Preferences.

Double-click the MaximumAttachmentSize value.

If you cannot see MaximumAttachmentSize:

Select Edit | New | DWORD Value from the menu.

Enter "MaximumAttachmentSize" (not including the quotation marks).

Press Enter.

Now double-click the MaximumAttachmentSize value you just created.

Enter the desired attachment size limit in KB under Value Data:.

To set a size limit of 25 MB, for example, use "25600".

The default value (with MaximumAttachmentSize not present) is 20 MB or "20480".

For no attachment file size limit, enter "0". Practically all mail servers do have a size limit, though, so "0" is not recommended; you would invariably get large messages back as undeliverable after an often long and fruitless uploading process.

Ideally, the limit corresponds to your mail server's limit. You can reduce the limit by some 500 KB to allow wiggle room.

Click OK.

Hi,

211Mb?? I would be VERY pissed off I got an email with an attachment that size.

Anything over 5-6Mb should NOT be sent by email, it just isn't meant to transfer that much data.

Could you FTP to a server? Or use one of the file sending sites (wasn't aware yousendit now requires payment, used to be free).

Sanuk!

Hi Mekong and KS, thanks for the heads up. I will wait until I'm back in Thailand next week and find a different way. Unfortunately I don't know of any ftp's.

Good to know that 5 or 6 MB is max for emails! I'll work it out next week, thx again for all your input, it's been very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all suggestions, it's really helpful.

The problem with yousendit is that you have to pay for it, although there's a free trial period.

Try file-upload.net. Because the free service allows only files up to 100 MB you have to split the RAR file into pieces. Whatever program you use to create the RAR file should be able to handle this. Otherwise try 7-zip which is what I use to create archives.

Archived