What Happened Here The Last 4 Years?

elef

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there not neibouring countries that reflect Thailand pre 1978?

I wonder how many here would be prepared to go back to Thailand (or anywhere in SE Asia ..) circa 1978. I've wandered around the major shopping centres in VT and PP (one per city, from memory) and it was very reminiscent of Tamworth in 1978. Little things like the postal service may not be what you've grown accustomed to, and PP has an unfortunate reputation for break-ins. Granted, that's all secondhand except for my impression of the shopping facilities, but I'd be careful what I wished for. coss can give you a more up-to-date er, update on VT - mine is from 2008.

I wonder how many here would be prepared to go back to Thailand (or anywhere in SE Asia ..) circa 1978. I've wandered around the major shopping centres in VT and PP (one per city, from memory) and it was very reminiscent of Tamworth in 1978. Little things like the postal service may not be what you've grown accustomed to, and PP has an unfortunate reputation for break-ins. Granted, that's all secondhand except for my impression of the shopping facilities, but I'd be careful what I wished for. coss can give you a more up-to-date er, update on VT - mine is from 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj8bcGYZMmQ

I ran headers, chase bins, and grain dryers around Tamworth pre 1978, was good fun.

Where I live now the older women still sometimes get around topless, most often in a bra, just the other day I came across a family of women bathing in sarongs at the village well, with a few younger girls as well for the first time in a while, was a nice surprise.

But then again I live a long way from Bangkok.

CTDS,

Wow - I watched the vid thinking it was PP or VT back in the 80s - BKK ! I didnt see a single landmark to be able to place exactly where they were filming, but its all so lowrise and the few cars on the road seem to have been able to drive everywhere at a minimum of 40 km/h. Bit scary at those intersections, but you will see worse in the center of PP today. Biggest shock was that I dont recall a single motorbike in the vid - baht buses etc, and the old cyclo, but no bikes. Weird.

Flash will probably love that blast from his past. Tamworth, from my recollection, was far more advanced and had more traffic in 1978. huumlaar would still have been bloody hot out in the paddocks (and cold in Winter) but its funny how we forget those things in later years.

That video cannot be Bangkok in the 1970s, since the pedal samlor was outlawed in 1968 (I think). When that happened, the samlor drivers began a procession heading north, and most of them went all the way to Chiang Mai. I never saw a single samlor in use in Bangkok.

It could be a suburb, such as Nonthaburi. But it definitely is not downtown Bangkok. It looks like any small city in Thailand in the 1970s, or even today. Bangkok's traffic in the 70s had plenty of cars and moved fast! You had to do the Bangkok shuffle to cross the street, crossing a lane or two and waiting until you could get across another lane. No pedestrian crossovers in those days. :p

But Bangkok 30+ years ago had everything you could want. It was a modern city with all conveniences. It didn't look like that video, except for the outer fringes. That is an upcountry town. Notice the rural roads and the "tham boon" ceremony in the pickups.

My link

That video cannot be Bangkok in the 1970s, since the pedal samlor was outlawed in 1968 (I think). When that happened, the samlor drivers began a procession heading north, and most of them went all the way to Chiang Mai. I never saw a single samlor in use in Bangkok.

It could be a suburb, such as Nonthaburi. But it definitely is not downtown Bangkok. It looks like any small city in Thailand in the 1970s, or even today. Bangkok's traffic in the 70s had plenty of cars and moved fast! You had to do the Bangkok shuffle to cross the street, crossing a lane or two and waiting until you could get across another lane. No pedestrian crossovers in those days. :p

But Bangkok 30+ years ago had everything you could want. It was a modern city with all conveniences. It didn't look like that video, except for the outer fringes. That is an upcountry town. Notice the rural roads and the "tham boon" ceremony in the pickups.

My link

"As petrol powered vehicles became more popular the numerous samlors present on the roads began to cause increasing congestion and health hazards and so as a result the samlor became outlawed in the late 1950’s."

Samlor ban

Archived