What Happened Here The Last 4 Years?

elef

Compared to ajarn, this board is a repository of (mostly) happy people. Misery really does love company over there. They want to be free of the nanny state they left behind, but still have the same set of laws/values in place when their own interests are threatened. To sum up, 'Thailand would be fantastic if there werent so many bloody Thais here !' ......

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you sure they have left nursery yet? Many years since I visited ajarn, but at that time our old member Bangkok Phil had lessons for horny teenagers from USA and Australia mostly who wanted to move to Thailand making big money same time as they were fucking free.... :neener:

Under Takky, the government decided that Yanks had to have a minimum of 65,000 baht a month to survive in LOS. Brits for some reason could get by on 55,000. Teachers of all levels and journalists were exempt from the minimums. Teaching pay actually has got worse over the years, even though it has increased. My first government contract in 1978 was 8,550 baht a month. But prices are 8 to 10 times what they were back then! I had plenty of money when I made 8,500. Now at around 40,000 I have to watch my baht. :p

My first apartment in Bangkok was two bedroom, a/c, small kitchen, swimming pool in the compound - rent 2,500. That same apartment now goes for 20,000+. Before the 1997 crash, I'm told it went for 25,000.

Archived