What Happened Here The Last 4 Years?

elef

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As to Lao being like Thailand 20 years ago, well yes and no.

Rural Lao and Rural Isaan are very similar IMHO. But! Mobile phones, Internet, KFC and short shorts are in all the small/medium towns. And Cars.

What I am finding is that the traditional Lao, as against the more modern folk, are very Thai 20 years ago. And also I'm seeing those at the higher end of the class system, rather than those at the lower end as I did when I first came to Thailand 20 odd years ago.

The people here are still very friendly, whereas on recent trips to Bangkok and Nong Khai, the Thais are very slightly less so.

It's the cheap beer and Lao Lao spirits that does it. My impression is that Thais per se, concentrate more on the commercial side of life these days...

Just my humble opinion, I've only been here 5 months and there's more to learn.

Cheers

Coss

<br />KFC ? That's a new one - when I was there in 2008 there were no fast food franchises in VT : that was actually seen as a plus by many Farang. I guess that's 'progress' - will be interesting to see what other changes are in evidence when I finally get there.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sorry, I retract the KFC in Lao assertion, I've seen them in small/medium towns in Thailand. But there are a few, like Swensens, and Pizza joints here in VTE.

"digging up 5-6 yr old posts" - maybe nostalgic, but more likely a troll. Some boards have locked all old posts, instead an admin can open on request.

I've chosen not to answer to threads with last post older than 1 or 2 days. Why, that's history...

Still I'm looking for more activity without breaking the rules. Probably I must go to Spain in the end of the week for 1-2 weeks, but before that I will try to give some life - a worthy life to such a fine board.

Archived