Expat Writers And The Book You've Read

elef

I've read

Dean Barrett 1 or 2 books (don't remember)

Bernard Trink (collection of Nite Owls I think)

Walker & Erhlich - "Hello my big honey" (still have that one)

Stephen Leather - "Private dancer" (full pdf version)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Read Stephen Leather's Private Dancer and 2 (?) books from Christopher Moore, forgot which, they were not memorable.

While I do read a reasonable bit, I tend to stick to one genre only and it doesn't include books like those being discussed here.

Sanuk!

I've got books I'm supposed to read, but haven't had time to do so. (Work really interferes with the important things in life.) I seldom read fiction, since books cost so much. I'm reluctant to spend the price of a good meal or a night out on a book I'd probably only read once.

Elf, if you want a fun book, try Collin Pipprel's "Kicking Dogs". I push it because it is tongue in cheek. Sort of a spoof of Bernie Trink too, though people are forgetting that now. Too many writers take themselves too seriously.

Too much fiction is about the bars or crime set in the nightlife sector. I have no interest in reading about that, since I probably know more about the nightlife that than the writers. :dunno:

Private Dancer, and I was disappointed. In 2008, I bought something ('Jade Fever', I think) which was supposed to be a guide for Farang contemplating a relationship with a Thai girl and it was nothing more than a rehash of various tales about bargirls' treachery. The tone of the book was as anti-Thai as anything I have read on Stick's site, and even the anecdotes where the Farang supposedly came out 'ahead' read like the kind of crap you would hear embellished in a bar at 1am.

Anyone reading either book with no previous experience of Thailand would be strongly inclined to cross the country off their list of preferred destinations. Cautionary tales are all well and good, but both authors had tunnel vision, IMO.

Archived