Expat Writers And The Book You've Read

elef

"In February 2007, the Chula Book Centre, the main bookstore of state-run Chulalongkorn University, removed Chulalongkorn University professor Giles Ungphakorn's 2007 book A Coup for the Rich from its shelves after a manager of the book store found that it listed" X "as a reference. State-run Thammasat University Bookstore quickly followed suit, refusing to sell the book on March 6. However, Thammasat University's rector later reversed this decision and ordered the university bookstore to sell the book."

From wikipedia

Thai authorities are overreacting but at least the uni rector had the courage to be realistic.

Thammasat has a long tradition of being the opposite of anything Chula does. :)

As to Dr Ji's book, it is not blocked on the internet. You can download it. He is an admitted Marxist, something to keep in mind. Most "banned books" are also available in Bangkok, though not sold openly. Thammasat has shown the Anna and the King movies and held discussions of them. (They are insulting for their ignorance and historical inaccuracy. However, correcting the mistakes would leave the film makers with no story to tell.)

I was once mistaken for Dr Ji by an extreme rightest. (From the look of him, I suspect he may have been involved in the Thammasat massacre!) After we'd spoken for a 5 or 10 minutes in Thai, he started calling me Dr J. That tells me that Giles Unpakorn must have a rather crappy accent in Thai. After all , he did spent much of his life in England. :p

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, nothing insulting about these images:

Ignorance, think about OBL-tshirts, also I've seen religious symbols like cross - my GF asked one girl about the cross and absolutely denied it was religious.

The swastika is a very old religious symbol (oldest found is 10,000 years) used also in buddhism.

The SS uniforms yes as you said same as prince Harry.

Thammasat has a long tradition of being the opposite of anything Chula does. :)

As to Dr Ji's book, it is not blocked on the internet. You can download it. He is an admitted Marxist, something to keep in mind. Most "banned books" are also available in Bangkok, though not sold openly. Thammasat has shown the Anna and the King movies and held discussions of them. (They are insulting for their ignorance and historical inaccuracy. However, correcting the mistakes would leave the film makers with no story to tell.)

I was once mistaken for Dr Ji by an extreme rightest. (From the look of him, I suspect he may have been involved in the Thammasat massacre!) After we'd spoken for a 5 or 10 minutes in Thai, he started calling me Dr J. That tells me that Giles Unpakorn must have a rather crappy accent in Thai. After all , he did spent much of his life in England. :p

Does he look like Lord Lucan as well?

you see this at many places in India! the Nazis adopted this.

There was 100-150 years ago a myth of aryan race. Germans and the nazis believed they were real aryans, After so many hundred years of wars in central europe probably the german people is the biggest racial cocktail in the world. I've heard that gypsies are coming from India and could call themselves aryan, instead Hitler tried to kill gypsies as well as jews, free masons and homosexuals....

Guest lazyphil

There was 100-150 years ago a myth of aryan race. Germans and the nazis believed they were real aryans, After so many hundred years of wars in central europe probably the german people is the biggest racial cocktail in the world. I've heard that gypsies are coming from India and could call themselves aryan, instead Hitler tried to kill gypsies as well as jews, free masons and homosexuals....

I remember an idiot GI practically foaming at the mouth because he saw a cute little Vietnamese girl wearing a golden swastika on a gold chain around her neck. I almost had to physically restrain the moron to keep him from smacking the gal, who was totally bewildered by the whole scene. And the douchebag Pfc wasn't Jewish either. (It's called the chu van in Vietnamese. Strange that popped into my head after all these years.)

Goebbals came up with the mythology, but even he must have looked at Hitler and wondered how they were going to sell the whole 'tall, blond superman' image (Goering even attracted ridicule from his own men for his appearance). Its only recently, at least IME, that various docos have pointed out how many 'Aryan' Germans were murdered for trying to resist the Nazis, including some of Hitler's own generals. If I had to pick the physical embodiment of the Aryan ideal today, they would come from Sweden/Denmark/Norway and, fwir, none of them sided with Hitler. Given that the early Nazi rhetoric found supporters among the British aristocracy, I expect that there were people all over Europe who fell for the 'master race' BS - it still goes over well with various nutters to this day.

Archived