Is Messi The Best Football-Player Ever?

elef

Why when choosing 'Great' players are non goal scoring players always ignored? Can a defender or goalkeeper not be great?

My vote:

If I say the 'Messi role' it doesn't mean anything. A striker/second striker or some would say a 'free-role' maybe even an advanced midfielder. Meaningless.

If I say the 'Claude Makelele role' most will know what I mean.

He gets my vote.

Why when choosing 'Great' players are non goal scoring players always ignored? Can a defender or goalkeeper not be great?

My vote:

If I say the 'Messi role' it doesn't mean anything. A striker/second striker or some would say a 'free-role' maybe even an advanced midfielder. Meaningless.

If I say the 'Claude Makelele role' most will know what I mean.

He gets my vote.

Sorry, I had completely forgot Makélélé - and I've never ever heard "Makélélé Role".

Actually I mentioned "Kaiser Franz" Beckenbauer and Gordon Banks.

In every sport we have this argument. Next to impossible to objectively say who was the best. Lots of it depends on your age. If you've been around a long time and seen great players from the past I think it gives you a totally different (and better imho) perspective than someone like me who is a relatively new fan or a young person who isn't a historian of the sport.

Also, what constitutes greatest. By default most would only stay strikers. Rarely keepers. There are probably defenders who defended better than the best strikers but won't be regarded as the best. Pele was almost unanimously regarded as the best and then Maradonna got a lot of arguments to the contrary. Cryuff, Eubesio, Platini, van Basten, Best would all get honorable mentions after those. Today, Pele isn't a sure pick. He has to be mentioned and compared to but if you took a vote, I think Maradonna would be very close if not ahead. Messi can't yet. He has done wonders but its still fairly early in his career. By the end he may leave no doubt but its not fair to the others who have done it over a decade or more.

The greats had great players around them as well. If Messi doesn't win a world cup should he still be considered? Everyone seems to put trophies into the mix. I don't but most everyone else does. Cryuff may be the greatest player not to win a world cup (van Basten now that I think about it). Should that be used against him? Or Best? Or Eusebio?

In every sport we have this argument. Next to impossible to objectively say who was the best. Lots of it depends on your age. If you've been around a long time and seen great players from the past I think it gives you a totally different (and better imho) perspective than someone like me who is a relatively new fan or a young person who isn't a historian of the sport.

I'm older than most but younger than Flashermac, OK.

Garrincha (met the same destiny as Maradona)

GreNoLi - somebody without cheating?

• 2 months later...

I second that.

ALHOLK

In answer to the OP's question, the answer is "No", he still hasn't scored against Chelsea :stirthepo

For me its, Zola, you sometimes wondered if the ball was tied to his feet.

Not biased or anything you understand :)

In answer to the OP's question, the answer is "No", he still hasn't scored against Chelsea :stirthepo

For me its, Zola, you sometimes wondered if the ball was tied to his feet.

Not biased or anything you understand :)

Emile Zola says a Chelsea fan.... :surprised:

but a new question.

who is the best player you have ever seen in the flesh?.

easy to watch players on TV but who have you drooled over when actually at a game?.

i saw George Best when he was definately a spent force at in a friendly,but he went for it and was outstanding in the game.

Cantona was an enigma,poor for many games in a row but then turned it on when needed.

i remember seeing him play in the Man Utd team in Vienna in a CL game and he was just the best....

not that i'm biased of course...... :shakehead

Messi is 24/25? and look at the records he has broken so far in career.

so far no international success but that means nothing really.

at the end of his career i wonder how far he will have gone?.

Archived