Snake Line At Suvarnabhumi

Horneytorney

I flew to UT from DM back in 2008 and the place had a very laidback atmosphere - more like a big bus station than an airport. Dont remember seeing a single Farang - obviously, they were there somewhere, but I just dont recall seeing any. Spent about an hour drinking beer and laughing with a couple of girls before my flight - stark contrast to every departure I've ever had from Swampy. In hindsight, I should have taken those girls to Udon and saved myself the tedium of the following week, but thats another story.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I flew to UT from DM back in 2008 and the place had a very laidback atmosphere - more like a big bus station than an airport. Dont remember seeing a single Farang - obviously, they were there somewhere, but I just dont recall seeing any. Spent about an hour drinking beer and laughing with a couple of girls before my flight - stark contrast to every departure I've ever had from Swampy. In hindsight, I should have taken those girls to Udon and saved myself the tedium of the following week, but thats another story.

with just a dozen regular passenger flights per day, a airport gets certainly a "laidback atmosphere". There are several airports with even less such as Mae Hong Son, Chumphon, Trang etc.

http://www.udonthaniairport.udonmap.com/

intairport.jpg

udonthani_airport_new.jpg

Back in 2008, DM had most of the domestic flights. Not sure who is crazy enough to spend the money Thai charge for domestic flights, but DM had Nok, Thai Air Asia etc. It will be good to see them out there again, although probably less so for anyone coming back to BKK from down south to catch a domestic flight. I'd hate to find myself standing at Swampy looking for my domestic flight .....

The other big downer with DM was the flooding, but hopefully that was a 'one in one hundred year' thing.

Back in 2008, DM had most of the domestic flights. Not sure who is crazy enough to spend the money Thai charge for domestic flights, but DM had Nok, Thai Air Asia etc. It will be good to see them out there again, although probably less so for anyone coming back to BKK from down south to catch a domestic flight. I'd hate to find myself standing at Swampy looking for my domestic flight .....

The other big downer with DM was the flooding, but hopefully that was a 'one in one hundred year' thing.

I just went to Chiang Mai with TG in cattle class; 4700 THB return; I can check in at Biz class counter, use lounge (free newspapers, magazine, drinks, snacks); reserved seat; got upgraded to biz on one leg; luckily from Swampy, not from DM! prefer that anytime over Nok and Air Asia.

now call me crazy! :monkey:

I just went to Chiang Mai with TG in cattle class; 4700 THB return; I can check in at Biz class counter, use lounge (free newspapers, magazine, drinks, snacks); reserved seat; got upgraded to biz on one leg; luckily from Swampy, not from DM! prefer that anytime over Nok and Air Asia.

now call me crazy! :monkey:

Its an hour long flight - I think I can bear cattle on Air Asia for an hour .....

sure, but why should i save 1000-1500 THB (from TG to Air Asia) and skip all the benefits (prio check in, lounge, mileage etc.)?

i can certainly last the 45 minute flight from BKK to HKT and need nothing when aboard,by the time i've browsed the various magazines i'm normally about to land.

and i do like the view of Phang Nga from the air.

flown from both airports in BKK over the years and i can't remember a major prob;em with checking-in/passport control/getting to my gate and then getting on the plane.

i probably have had a problem in the past,but nothing really springs to mind.

i like the new airport,easy to get around and I find it user friendly.

but by now i know what i'm doing and where i'm going.

never really experienced the 'snakelines'but i have seen them at other airline check-in desks.

i normally travel Air Asia internally and because they have so many desks available i normally plead ignorance at a first-class desk and ask if i'm in the right place?.

never been a problem and a boarding pass issued and i'm on my way,without having to queue at the economy lines.

yes i have been told i was in the wrong place and told to go to the economy line,but not often.

but once in BKK i'm easy to please as i know i've arrived and any little waiting around is not a problem.

never really experienced the 'snakelines'but i have seen them at other airline check-in desks.

the snakelines were introduced last week for immigration; i haven't seen any for check ins. many other airports use them for check in as well; I guess this is up to the airline

it calms down waiting people as everybody thinks he has to wait as long as the others; or did you never wait in a slow queue (some staff works slower than others and some people need longer time to get done) and had the feeling that in other queues people arriving after you got served faster than you?

i normally travel Air Asia internally and because they have so many desks available i normally plead ignorance at a first-class desk and ask if i'm in the right place?.

never been a problem and a boarding pass issued and i'm on my way,without having to queue at the economy lines.

yes i have been told i was in the wrong place and told to go to the economy line,but not often.

but once in BKK i'm easy to please as i know i've arrived and any little waiting around is not a problem.

Happens to me every time too - Nok Air, Air Asia, Cebu Pacific - I just stroll up to the First Class lines and they always let me check in first, normally give me free access to the lounge, extra baggage weight and some times if I'm lucky, even let me short time the stewardress - but that doesn't happen that often.

Everyone should try it - it works! And I'm no "handsum man" either.

With international flights, the problem is rarely at check-in - its at Immigration. Just as we are greeted by the sight of endless lines on arrival, the situation has become worse on departure - obviously, domestic flights aren't impacted by this. Unfortunately, the domestic flights do add to the number of planes on the runway, hence the earlier comment about many flights being shuttled back to the terminal on buses. I had assumed that was only a budget-carrier thing, but apparently not. My Etihad flight was met by a bus - stark contrast to my arrival back in Sydney (another heavily overloaded hub) where we walked off the plane straight into the terminal. Being turfed out onto the tarmac normally only happens at regional airports in Oz.

Archived