Do You Lie To Your Doctor? Even A Little Bit About History Or Symptoms?

TheCorinthian

In another thread a member said this:

...in the past my doctors were worried about blood test results indicating problems with my liver.

When asked searching questions about my habits,i told small untruths to try and put them off the scent....

As a researcher, I have to ask... Why would you ever do this? It just blows my mind that esp if you are in the office looking for a problem... you would lie to the physician about history or problems you have. This seems a sure fire way to shorten your life span and get you in SERIOUS trouble when the drugs / treatment undertaken exacerbate the real condition.

To take the above example, prescribing say a blood thinning agent to someone with advanced liver malfunction could become toxic very quickly. But that could very easily be done if some symptoms are masked or covered up (like heavy drinking, in blood in the bowels, ect. Same thing with kidney problems.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've stated before, I have no doctor, haven't been to a doctor in the U.S. since 1971 (college physical) and have only been to a doctor a couple of times in Thailand, mainly to check eyes (had cataract surgery on one eye 4 years ago in LOS and will do the other eye when the doctor recommends it). While I have a healthy distrust of doctors and their motives for prescribing medication/proceedures, I would disclose anything that they asked and offer any information that I felt would help him/her. I just wouldn't blindly accept their recommendations.

I don't lie - not my style, but I don't trust doctors completely either - maybe except surgeons.

No, IMO doctors are (my) advisors, not gods or prophets. I just take diuretics, but one time I had serious side effects so I informed my doctor that I changed my diet back to unlimited water per day. Also no alcohol so I became weaker and weaker and they planned to transfer me to long-time hospital for months or longer - now I've started with beer and sometimes wine again and now leaving my wheelchair and swim 600-800 meters every day and even start to run. There's one side effect however if I drink too much - my weight is coming up.

We are still friends my doctor and I, she points out the risks but I decide.

of course u should lie to ur doctor

remember: everything u tell ur doctor can and will be held against u by ur insurance, ur employer, ur social security, the police, immigration, ur ex's lawyer... whoever

and remember: ur doctor may very well use whatever u tell him to fantasize sbout u (doctors call this process of fantasizing "diagnosing").

Really dangerous is everything related to psychiatry and/or alcohol. Never ever admit to a doctor that u have ever drunk even the slightest amount of alcohol! He may - without ur knowledge - label u an alcoholic, with severe financial consequences for u (loss of job, loss of clearnces, loss of insurance coverage...). Never ever admit to a doctor that u have ever been less than perfectly happy - he may without ur knowledge label u as god knows what form of psycho, with unimaginable consequences for ur life.

I am a doctor and I am perfectly happy if patients do not tell me stuff that I am supposed to use against them.

of course u should lie to ur doctor

remember: everything u tell ur doctor can and will be held against u by ur insurance, ur employer, ur social security, the police, immigration, ur ex's lawyer... whoever

and remember: ur doctor may very well use whatever u tell him to fantasize sbout u (doctors call this process of fantasizing "diagnosing").

Really dangerous is everything related to psychiatry and/or alcohol. Never ever admit to a doctor that u have ever drunk even the slightest amount of alcohol! He may - without ur knowledge - label u an alcoholic, with severe financial consequences for u (loss of job, loss of clearnces, loss of insurance coverage...). Never ever admit to a doctor that u have ever been less than perfectly happy - he may without ur knowledge label u as god knows what form of psycho, with unimaginable consequences for ur life.

I am a doctor and I am perfectly happy if patients do not tell me stuff that I am supposed to use against them.

FYI:

Highlighted text is highly doubtful, first part more than the secound. The rest of it is just not good advice to begin with and potentially dangerous to life threatening.

FYI:

Highlighted text is highly doubtful, first part more than the secound. The rest of it is just not good advice to begin with and potentially dangerous to life threatening.

I'm not sure what you define as "first part", but if you question if iuytrede is a doctor, I can tell you're wrong - he has been here since 2001 and no doubt he's a real doc.

I'm not sure what you define as "first part", but if you question if iuytrede is a doctor, I can tell you're wrong - he has been here since 2001 and no doubt he's a real doc.

I find it doubtful he is a medical MD mostly because in my former business one could potentially loose a license for saying what he said.. especially in a public forum. Also because it is seriously dangerous thing to say, especially if you are trying to diagnose a life threatening disease. Also, at least in the US, showing that police, IRS, employer, ect used your doctors diagnosis against you is strictly against the law. ( We should all like to get in on the money in that law suit.)

Seriously, an MD advising you to lie to your MD while seeking treatment? No idea where he is from but the AMA reads stuff like that with their eyes shut.

Could he really be one? Sure. Is this good advice? Absolutely not.

Not sure about the US but as far as I know, unless you confess to your doctor you have committed a CRIME, they are obliged to keep it all confidential if they are YOUR doctor. If they are working for the insurance company, or your employer, ex wife etc it may be a different thing, and if I was visiting any doctor other than MY doctor, I would be dubious to tell them anything "incriminating". However, visiting any doctor off your own bat with the aim being to cure an ailment or pain, I fail to see how lying would be beneficial to your health.

seems the whole thread is about the situation in he US!

I would also lie if I was US citizen. in other countries the doctor of your choice keeps your stuff secret and insurances, employer, social security, police and everybody, who is after you need to appoint a special doctor to check on you.

so of course no need to lie to the first one, but you have to be very careful, what you tell to a appointed doctor

I do also not follow everything what they recommend, but I do not lie to the doctor of my choice.

seems the whole thread is about the situation in he US!

I would also lie if I was US citizen. in other countries the doctor of your choice keeps your stuff secret and insurances, employer, social security, police and everybody, who is after you need to appoint a special doctor to check on you.

so of course no need to lie to the first one, but you have to be very careful, what you tell to a appointed doctor

I do also not follow everything what they recommend, but I do not lie to the doctor of my choice.

I lie to my Dr regularly and nobody knows what future law changes there may be ie employment law or life insurance, I have regular HIV tests the fact that I am clear is irrelivant, the fact that I have been tested could put up the price of insurance. Your medical records are not private, insurance companies, employers and the legal system can get hold of them. I am claiming for a head injury against my employer, it left me with damaged brain and speech disfunction. Now my employer has access to all my medical records, so now I will forever be choosey about what information I give, health authorities also sell information as does the government.

Tip of the iceberg

Archived