Do You Lie To Your Doctor? Even A Little Bit About History Or Symptoms?

TheCorinthian

seems the whole thread is about the situation in he US!

I would also lie if I was US citizen. in other countries the doctor of your choice keeps your stuff secret and insurances, employer, social security, police and everybody, who is after you need to appoint a special doctor to check on you.

so of course no need to lie to the first one, but you have to be very careful, what you tell to a appointed doctor

I do also not follow everything what they recommend, but I do not lie to the doctor of my choice.

The point of the thread is not country specific but personality. "Do you lie to the doctor you went to go see for treatment?" I am interested in opinions of why you would do such a thing. It does not matter where you are. That someone claiming to be an MD would show up advising you to do it was not what I expected at all.

On that point however, in the US, Britain, and most of the western world, doctor patient-confidentiality is sacrosanct. DOD where I used to work full time it was too. Even a General could not get our stuff with out damn good cause like bubonic plague. I do not know where or even if iuytrede practices (Which I find highly doubtful.) but his advice is ridiculous at best dangerous at worse. In the US I can just imagine what a patient pursuing action against him could do with that post and it is devastating.

Also, the advice is just simply wrong.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point of the thread is not country specific but personality. "Do you lie to the doctor you went to go see for treatment?" I am interested in opinions of why you would do such a thing. It does not matter where you are. That someone claiming to be an MD would show up advising you to do it was not what I expected at all.

On that point however, in the US, Britain, and most of the western world, doctor patient-confidentiality is sacrosanct. DOD where I used to work full time it was too. Even a General could not get our stuff with out damn good cause like bubonic plague. I do not know where or even if iuytrede practices (Which I find highly doubtful.) but his advice is ridiculous at best dangerous at worse. In the US I can just imagine what a patient pursuing action against him could do with that post and it is devastating.

Also, the advice is just simply wrong.

Medical records leaked

more leaking

Note that says "leaked." And a "crime." But if you see this a an issue that you would risk your life over, that is interesting to me. (And the question of the thread.)

Well I don't lie to my Dr where I think it matters but when he asks if I induldge in activities likely to put me at risk of STD's or have I ever tried recreational drugs then as I work on secret military projects I do not want to answer these questions. I don't think me hiding the fact that I once smoked weed in 1979 or that I have shagged a bar girl will put me at risk but I will not take the risk my employer, my life insurer, car insurer or the press find out.

Here the govt have put our records onto the flawed NHS database any nurse short of a bob or two can access my files anywhere in the country, or any cleaner coming across a pc left logged on.

I changed Doctors once and when I made an appointment was given my records in a manila file as they hadn't yet been put onto the database. While I was waiting I had a scan of them and noticed they were another patients records, I just don't trust them, How many govt laptops and momorey sticks have been left on trains containing secret information?

My link

of course it depends pretty much whether your doctor's files are kept confidential or not and that might vary from country to country. I do not know about US!

As a researcher, I have to ask... Why would you ever do this? It just blows my mind that esp if you are in the office looking for a problem... you would lie to the physician about history or problems you have. This seems a sure fire way to shorten your life span and get you in SERIOUS trouble when the drugs / treatment undertaken exacerbate the real condition.

in defence of my original 'confession' i plead i uttered it 'while i was of unsound mind'

my untruths were nothing serious in my eyes.

i was always asked how many cigarettes i smoked a day and i usually put the amount as lower.

but in my defence i could not tell exactly how many i had each day,impossible to tell.

my doctor knew i was drinking because of the blood test results,but again i could not give an accurate figure or my drinking habits.

i don't drink heavily(except on holiday)but normally have a drink each day.

i have a habit of binge drinking and i can easily go 4/5 days with little alcohol after a day or two of excess.

my doctor(who i knew when he was a medical student and a friend)knew i was not telling the truth but while telling me to be careful never judged me.

i can't think of any of my 'untruths' affected any of the treatment/drugs i've had over the years.

the problems i've had over the years are not nicotine/alcohol related and have been told my habits are not dangerous as long as i don't increase the habits.

i have become very good friends with my consultant and have been to her house a few times for functions and she is a great person.

she smokes like a chimney and knocks back the drink.

she used to tell me off each time i saw her and with a wink of her eye just said 'do as i say,not as I do'.

Work on contract with one of the largest healthcare providers in California, on the electronic side of things. In the past couple years probably seen a dozen staff at sites I worked have their positions terminated due to HIPAA violations (in a nutshell for sharing patient information - several times this was to a family member and the staff thought it was OK, but it wasn't).

They're very serious about the confidentiality of patient records and you better believe that if a potential employer called up to request a member's record, there is no way in hell they'd get that. If a husband or wife wants the record of their spouse, they won't even get that unless permission is documented. Now mom and pop clinics might be a little looser, but they're still regulated by HIPAA and SOX compliance.

btw - I kinda agree with both sides here. Physicians are by no means omnipotent. Often you'll see two on the same team completely disagree on a Dx and treatment. The more complicated a condition, the more of an educated guess on incomplete information medicine becomes. And that makes Corinthian's point valid, you want the person evaluating you to have the most accurate picture possible - does that mean they'll be right --> hell no. But it does stack the deck more towards better care.

Twenty years ago I was suffering from dizzy spells, went to the Dr and had all kinds of tests done, brain scans etc. They could find nothing wrong and my Dr called me in for an appointment. He explaind that in his and his teams opinion I had the early signs of epilepsy and as such he was sorry but he would have to inform the DVLA and I would forever be banned from driving. Also the end of my PPL and my career. By good fortune a nurse was in the room and asked what job I did? I told her and she asked do I wear ear protection? I do and she asked what kind? I told her the roll up foam kind that you insert in your ear. She asked do I reuse them or put fresh ones in every time? I said I reuse them. She had a look in my ears and said the oil on my fingers had given me dermititus of the inner ear and in her opinion the resultant swelling on the ear canal ws causing the dizzy spells. I stopped using the ear plugs alltogether and had my ears treated, problem solved. Do I trust Doctors? No, do I trust the British NHS to keep my records private? No. Maybee when I am not of working age I will give full disclosure but untill then I play my cards close to my chest and seek private anonymous health care. Lately I have a pain in my left arm, I will seek private scanning and diagnosis before putting anything on my record. If it is bad news I have the oppertunity to up my life insurance and state no known health problems!

Archived