5 Terror Suspects Killed In Bali Tourist Areas

gobbledonk

Original Story

Indonesian counter-terrorism forces have shot dead five suspected militants believed to have been planning a series of attacks in Bali.

Heavily armed officers from Indonesia's crack anti-terror unit Detachment 88 stormed two separate addresses, in Denpasar and in Sanur, on Sunday night where they shot and killed five men.

Witnesses have told AAP that gunshots could be heard for several minutes as officers raided the Lhaksmi Hotel on Jalan Danau Poso in the Sanur area about 9pm local time (midnight AEDT).

"I heard more than 10 shots. We are not allowed to enter our homes," one witness, who only wanted to be identified as Egi, told AAP.

Three suspected terrorists were shot and killed at the address in Sanur, an area popular with foreign tourists.

Witnesses reported seeing police removing bodies from a bungalow at the hotel, which remained surrounded by heavily armed officers late on Sunday night.

Another two suspected terrorists were shot and killed during a raid at an address on Jalan Gunung Soputan in Denpasar.

Police confirmed the raids were linked, adding that those killed had either resisted arrest or tried to escape.

"On Danau Poso three people were killed from police fire and on Gunung Soputan two were shot dead," Bali Police spokesman Hariadi said.

"They are linked to terrorism."

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when a hijacked Indonesian plane landed at Don Muang. After negotiations failed, Thai special forces seized the plane. Several of the Indonesian hijackers were captured alive and turned over to the Indonesians. But the Indonesian authorities announced that all had been killed resisting and displayed their bodies.

I remember when a hijacked Indonesian plane landed at Don Muang. After negotiations failed, Thai special forces seized the plane. Several of the Indonesian hijackers were captured alive and turned over to the Indonesians. But the Indonesian authorities announced that all had been killed resisting and displayed their bodies.

Well respect!

Actually the rescue was performed by Indonesian Kopassus commandos. They claim to this day all were shot either inside the plane or on the apron.

Wiki says the two captured hijackers were killed on the plane going back to Indonesia.

Garuda Indonesia Flight 206

TH

Actually the rescue was performed by Indonesian Kopassus commandos. They claim to this day all were shot either inside the plane or on the apron.

Wiki says the two captured hijackers were killed on the plane going back to Indonesia.

Garuda Indonesia Flight 206

TH

Kopassus are notorious for atrocities in Aceh, East Timor and West Papua - I have no trouble imagining them carrying out extra-judicial executions, but firing weapons on an aircraft has never been considered a 'good idea'. I guess we will never know.

The planned Balinese attacks were allegedly aimed at raising cash for the terrorists ongoing operations - they reportedly planned to 'blow up' a gold shop and a money changer. Not sure how well paper currency survives an explosion, but presumably the money changers keep the bulk of their cash in a large safe somewhere (or in a Tandoori oven). The gold shop seemed like an odd target - I dont know about Bali, but I believe that most Thai gold is embossed with the symbol of the shop, making it theoretically traceable : that isnt to say that they wouldnt be able to offload it, but when was the last time someone approached you with a wad of 'cheap' US dollars and a waistcoat lined with gold chains ?? If they did, would you believe any of it was real ?

I think I'll stick with Hua Seng Heng and Tang To Kang the next time I find myself in need of 23K 5-baht gold chains to impress my legion of female admirers with. :clown:

...I think I'll stick with Hua Seng Heng and Tang To Kang the next time I find myself in need of 23K 5-baht gold chains to impress my legion of female admirers with. :clown:

Unfortunately, at today’s prices you would not even get a 1 baht gold piece for 23k. A 5 baht piece is going to run some 120k.

:doah:

TH

23K refers to 23 Karat not the price :doah:

Yep. One website claims to be offering 23K 5-baht chains for 5.5K USD - fwir, its illegal to export Thai gold, so I'm not sure how they get around that little hurdle .....

(does anyone actually wear 5-baht chains in public ? Doesnt seem like a smart move)

<< The recapture of the plane was a joint operation between the Royal Thai Air Force commandos and Indonesia's Kopassus commandos. >>

As much as I can remember, the Thais blocked all avenues of escape, and two hijackers who fled the plane surrendered to the Thais. However, Indonesia's newspapers reported that all 5 had been killed during the assault. This caused something of a stir in the Thai press, since obviously the prisoners had been executed. I think the Post may even carried photos of the two prisoners alive and well.

The Indonesian version

Archived