Farang Moron Of The Month

gobbledonk

Stick has a bunch of questions from readers that are answered by a Thai legal firm, and most of it is around common issues like buying a condo etc, but this one takes the cake:

I was arrested for hugging a girl from behind in a Family Mart store. She got angry and wanted me to pay her 10,000 baht. I refused - which was stupid, I now realise. When I didn't pay, the police locked me up in the pen and I had to spend the night there. The day after I just wanted to get away so I had to pay 100,000 baht bail. How does bail work here in Thailand? Do you think that I will get the money back? Also, what kind of punishment do you think I will get?

Er, no - the stupid part was hugging her in the first place, Slick. Just how moronic is this guy ? Risking the wrath of the Thai 'justice' system to follow an infantile urge to hug a stranger ? Drives home the old adage about Farang leaving their brains at the airport - I've been absolutely hammered in convenience stores late at night, but I'm always careful to respect other people's space in such tight spaces : for all this clown knew, she could have had 3 Thai guys waiting outside to beat him to a pulp. Thanks for contributing to the view that some Thais have of Farang, Major Intellect. Hopefully, your gene pool ends with you.

FWIW, this was the legal eagle's response.

Sunbelt responds: Most likely you have been charged with some sort of assault. Once you have your court date the bail will be returned to you, however, there may be fines and fees deducted and you may find yourself deported. It's possible that you will get sentenced but most likely the judge will fine you and require you to pay damages.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

while he is one of the worst moron ever in Thailand (once in a year I even agree with gobbie), he can probably get away with close to nothing with a good defense (maintain that the girl offered him sexual service, mix up the person as he stood behind etc.).

what would such a guy get in western coutries? sentenced for sexual assault? 1-2 years in jail?

The thai legal system is a copy of the US legal system - but not an exact copy.

If he had offered the girl 5,000 the first day.... now he was stupid.

The 100,000 second day was for police and prosecutor.

Probably now it's 400,000 and the girl will still just get 10,000.

Maybe takes 2 years and there's a chance for winning but it will also cost money for lawyers. Probably still must pay damages to the girl maybe 100,000.

------

Sexual assault in NY, spend 1-2 million dollars on lawyers or get 10 years in jail and pay 10 millions in damages.

I doubt that he would get jail (assuming first offence ..) in Oz, but he would have to deal with a criminal conviction that he would be forced to declare every time he flies out of Australia or applies for a job with government and certain companies. One thing to have your resume thrown in the bin, another to be told they wont let you into a country because you have a history of rampant stupidity.

I doubt that he would get jail (assuming first offence ..) in Oz, but he would have to deal with a criminal conviction that he would be forced to declare every time he flies out of Australia or applies for a job with government and certain companies. One thing to have your resume thrown in the bin, another to be told they wont let you into a country because you have a history of rampant stupidity.

In Sweden probably no jail but suspended sentence and 200,000 baht in fines (could instead get 3 months in jail depending on judge but unlikely) and around 150,000 baht in damages.

that's for normal Swedes or also for enslaved ones from conquered land like you?

Both - there're 2 big legal systems in the world

anglo-saxon in UK and old british colonies (Japan and Thailand both belong here, Japan from US ockupation and Thailand from Rama IV and V)

roman - based on the old roman law in continental Europe and old colonies of France, Germany and so on. Code Napoleon is an example but now frenchies use Code Civil as the official name.

I normally work with international tax laws (but sure I've law school) and treaties (other speciality is computer security) both since 1976.

Archived