You Have A Lucky Face

khunsanuk

Hi,

Was walking out of the MRT on Asoke last Friday when an Indian guy walked up to me. Figured he was a tourist with a question or something, instead he started off with "Sir, you have a lucky face.". I just laughed, said "Fuck off!" and walked off.

No idea what scam he was trying to start, but I am certain he was trying to scam me somehow.

Sanuk!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

timeshare seller at Asoke MRT? don't think so!

they have more clever schemes; one is a review form for tourists, that looks pretty official like from the local tourist form (collected by local students), where they collect your hotel and room number. then they call you and tell you, that you just won one week free holiday and you will get picked up by a limousine to have a ceremony and hand over of price. Next you get greated by someone, who speak your mother tongue and then the hardselling starts...

by the way, I did not buy and that was years ago. probably they have many other schemes nowaday. maybe worth a special thread?

A few years ago, they used university students to sell - usually poor kids studying a Ramkhamhaeng. Some girls stopped me on Soi 4 with a questionaire, and I realised what was happening right away. But one girl admitted what it was going on and said she hadn't been able to make any money in the 3 weeks she'd been trying. (We were speaking in Thai by then.) I asked what it required, and she said she'd take me to a hotel in a taxi and introduce me to their salesman. Then she'd get 500 baht and was done. I figured what the heck and went with her. She was delighted, since no one ever had before. She kept reminding me, "Tell them you are a tourist. They don't want expats."

I went and saw the gal get her money. She gave me a big wai when she left. Then some fellow - Swiss, I think, went through the motions of giving me the spiel. I figured he knew what was going on too. Anyway, after a cup of coffee and a bit of pastry, I said no and left with an airline travel bag I have yet to use.

Thus I was able to get a poor student some money, plus waste the time waster's time. And I've still got that travel bag sitting in the closet too. :)

Hi,

Was walking out of the MRT on Asoke last Friday when an Indian guy walked up to me. Figured he was a tourist with a question or something, instead he started off with "Sir, you have a lucky face.". I just laughed, said "Fuck off!" and walked off.

No idea what scam he was trying to start, but I am certain he was trying to scam me somehow.

Sanuk!

Stick gets plenty of reports of this - my feeling is that these clowns (and the ATM bandits with the 'can you show me what Thai money looks like ?' crap) are going to provoke a physical backlash against Indians in Thailand. The Thais have largely tolerated the Indians for centuries, afaik, but these pests are worse than the usual tailor touts. However tolerant Thais may be, I doubt that young Farang guys (esp with a few beers under their belt) will put up with these dropkicks. Just a matter of time.

Actually it isn't a bad deal always. I know a swedish lady who bought some weeks in a timeshare apartment in Sweden. She never went there but instead she changes for weeks all over the world.

The deal for the timeshare sellers is good, they buy apartments and sell for 3 times the price after slicing the weeks.

I've been sitting on Beach Rd opposite Mikes Shopping Mall and smoking cuban cigars, they have been every day for more than 10 years. They always lost interest as I told them I owned a apartment house with old GF.

Archived