You Have A Lucky Face

khunsanuk

Hi,

Why do you even acknowledge their existence? I don’t look at them; don’t speak to them, slow down, nothing. They don’t exist as far as I’m concerned.

TH

That is pretty much how I treat them as well, but this one just was very unexpected. I also wasn't expecting this inside the MRT station.

Sanuk!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually it isn't a bad deal always. I know a swedish lady who bought some weeks in a timeshare apartment in Sweden. She never went there but instead she changes for weeks all over the world.

The deal for the timeshare sellers is good, they buy apartments and sell for 3 times the price after slicing the weeks.

I've been sitting on Beach Rd opposite Mikes Shopping Mall and smoking cuban cigars, they have been every day for more than 10 years. They always lost interest as I told them I owned a apartment house with old GF.

twocents.gifThat Swedish lady is trapped. She can only go where she can exchange timeshare AND probably pays additional because the properties aren't comparable. Plus you have the ever increasing maintenance fee. Plus there is no way she can sell it without taking a huge loss.

If she had never bought the timeshare, she could have traveled all over the world for less money and greater choice of destinations.

Hi,

Was walking out of the MRT on Asoke last Friday when an Indian guy walked up to me. Figured he was a tourist with a question or something, instead he started off with "Sir, you have a lucky face.". I just laughed, said "Fuck off!" and walked off.

No idea what scam he was trying to start, but I am certain he was trying to scam me somehow.

Sanuk!

KS,

Had that same line used on me last year on soi 20 by an Indian dude. Told him to fuck off as well. :biggrin:

Cent

This guy--or rather more accurately, "these guys"--the "Lucky Man guys," have been around forever.

I first became aware of them around 2004, when I first started using the [now defunkt] Starbucks at Sukhumvit Soi 5 as my "office," taking advantage of the (in those days, anyway) free wi-fi that wafted in from Landmark across the street.

Here's the scam: a usually (at least in the old days) Indian would do the "lucky man" schtick, and amazingly, it would WORK on a large number of farangs.

The main "Lucky Man guy," you should realize, always has a backup man...and the backup man is always the same guy, a chubby Indian with a thin mustache. The actual "Lucky Man" guy, however, changes over the years.

So the Lucky Man turbanned guy gets the farang tourists interested, and from there on it's fuzzy.

I've heard various reports: he starts "telling you things about yourself," that, like um, "duuuuude, how could anyone just walk up to you and KNOW that shit?!" If you know someone whom you could picture saying those words in a similar situation, or the equivalent words in the dialect of your country, then you know exactly what sort of brain-dead farang we're dealing with here...yeah, the [usually low-educated] kinda bitch who is prone to fads, cults, scams, 911 conspiracy theories, Y2K scares, 2012 Mayan calendar end-of-the-world scenarios, you know the chumps.

"Prophets," fortune tellers and the like around the world (as well as the writers of horoscopes) around the world, in all cultures, know how to say just the right "general" things about a given person which will "ring true" with the life experiences of that person if the bitch is open to such bullshit.

So he draws the mark--er, farang--in with the above bullshit, and it then "progresses" to a "private consultation session," which, back in the day, the Lucky Man cabal would always hold upstairs in Starbucks soi 5.

I've heard other stories from various loopy farang rumor mongers, haha, along the lines of "duuuude, the guy looks in your eyes and hypnotizes you right there on the sidewalk, and gets you to give him your ATM code," blah blah blah...

Now, I'm sure there are bitches THAT stupid...but I highly doubt the "instant hypnotism" shit...

Anyway, the private consultations upstairs at Starbucks, I've witnessed myself. At that point, while the turbanned "Lucky Man" guy is still marshalling the proceedings, Mr. Chubby moustached assistant is also still in tow, always sitting at a separate table.

I've also witnessed, once, the BIB coming up to the Starbucks second floor, an angry "former customer" of the Lucky Man leading them up there, arresting the Lucky Man guy!!

Over the years, I've seen an ongoing parade of new "Lucky Man" front men...but always the same chubby back-end guy. Hell, I've even seen them in the process of TRAINING new front men!!

Hi,

So, where's the scam part? There is nothing in the above that shows what the guy gets out of this.

Sanuk!

Well, the tales I always hear end with him somehow (instant hypnotization on the street, fee for his private consultation fortune-telling) extracting a fee from the farang mark for his bogus "services"...presumably, that is what the cops arrested him for, following the reports of the wronged farang, that I witnessed in Starbucks.

Hi,

So, where's the scam part? There is nothing in the above that shows what the guy gets out of this.

Sanuk!

Anyway, what the fuck? You think he's standing out there on the street trying to get random farangs, entreated by calls of "you look like a lucky man," to stop and talk to him for his health? Of course he's got a motherfucking scam going...use the brain god gave you!

Hi,

Of course he's got a motherfucking scam going...use the brain god gave you!

WTF is your problem? Read my initial post, I know damn well he was trying to scam me, just didn't know - and still don't for all your 'explaining' - what the actual scam is.

Sanuk!

Archived