Car Rental And Licence Rules

Guest baldrick

...I know some guys who drive around with just an IDP - after losing their national DL - not legal. This is for tourists.

An IDP is only valid for one year. They are likely driving around on one of the scam versions from the Inernet.

If you're an expat you need a thai DL, can be fixed easily, perhaps just parking a car and sometimes even they just let you identify green and red lights.

If you have a valid DL from your home country you can get a Thai DL without any driving test. You are required to take a color blindness test, a reaction test, a depth perception test.

You get a one year DL, when it expires they will give you 5 year one without any test.

Have you ever rented a car in Thailand? Have you ever asked the Avis, Budget or Hertz agent if you need a IDP if you have an accident? I have on many occasions and though I have never had an accident in a rented car was assured it is not needed for the insurance to pay. As I said, if the major rental agencies were not requiring a IDP to rent but the insurance companies were refusing to pay, wouldn't that have made to a Thailand scam thread by now?

TH

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"An IDP is only valid for one year. They are likely driving around on one of the scam versions from the Inernet."

I can order a swedish IDP without showing the DL by post or telephone (probably also using internet) from at least 3 motor organisations. So it's not a scam but still not legal without the DL. By law an IDP is a translation of your DL and not a DL at all.

"If you have a valid DL from your home country you can get a Thai DL without any driving test. You are required to take a color blindness test, a reaction test, a depth perception test.

You get a one year DL, when it expires they will give you 5 year one without any test."

I think that's correct at least in theory, probably the guy I'm thinking about hade lost his DL from home, he had to park the car and the inspector asked him if had problems with his eyes, he said no and got a thai DL without a bribe.

"An IDP is only valid for one year. They are likely driving around on one of the scam versions from the Inernet."

I can order a swedish IDP without showing the DL by post or telephone (probably also using internet) from at least 3 motor organisations. So it's not a scam but still not legal without the DL. By law an IDP is a translation of your DL and not a DL at all.

"If you have a valid DL from your home country you can get a Thai DL without any driving test. You are required to take a color blindness test, a reaction test, a depth perception test.

You get a one year DL, when it expires they will give you 5 year one without any test."

I think that's correct at least in theory, probably the guy I'm thinking about hade lost his DL from home, he had to park the car and the inspector asked him if had problems with his eyes, he said no and got a thai DL without a bribe.

Phil,

Just get the IDL to be on the safe side. I always got one. The one from the AAA (American Automobile Association) It used to cost me 50 USD a year. It did have Thai translation on it, as well as a number of other languages. Used it a few times when stopped by the BIB. You being on a tourist visa it is a smart move, cheap enough, and likely/possibly to help if there is an accident or a problem with the cops. Some Thai cops do know you need to have one to drive legally in Thailand along with your valid country's driver's license. I know. I've run into a few that asked for the IDL along with my US license when stopped while driving here years before. Now have had a Thai DL for about 7 years. Have to get a new one again soon. I would just get one if I were you (which I am not). :biggrin:

Have a great holiday while here.

Cent

You said it TH

NEVER Made a claim

Until you have tried to make a claim without an IDP I respectfully ask you to "Shut the Fuck Up"

Mekong,

So, you have and were requested for the IDL after an accident by the cops or the insurance company you were using? What's your story on this? It could be illuminating for the members here if so.

By the by, adding 'respectfully' to 'shut the fuck up' still doesn't make it a respectful request. :lol::spank::argue:

Cent

Guest lazyphil

Phil,

Just get the IDL to be on the safe side. I always got one. The one from the AAA (American Automobile Association) It used to cost me 50 USD a year. It did have Thai translation on it, as well as a number of other languages. Used it a few times when stopped by the BIB. You being on a tourist visa it is a smart move, cheap enough, and likely/possibly to help if there is an accident or a problem with the cops. Some Thai cops do know you need to have one to drive legally in Thailand along with your valid country's driver's license. I know. I've run into a few that asked for the IDL along with my US license when stopped while driving here years before. Now have had a Thai DL for about 7 years. Have to get a new one again soon. I would just get one if I were you (which I am not). :biggrin:

Have a great holiday while here.

Cent

thanks cent, i will get one. i have in the past without knowing taken a serious risk of a major cluster eff up. just not worth it :surprised:

thanks all

Some years back, I was on business in Phuket (guest of a hotel to write a feature about it). The sales manager went with me to see if he could sign up any more advertising down there. We decided to rent a car to get around, and we avoided the hotel agencies since they are expensive. We went to a small independent car rental and picked what we wanted. The sales manager signed the papers, since he could be reimbursed for it. But they flat out refused to let him have the car when he showed his IDL. He tried arguing with them, but to no avail. I finally pulled out my Thai licence and showed it to them. They quickly became all smiles and accepted it. I drove the car out of the agency and a few blocks away where they couldn't see me. Then I changed seats and let the salesman do the driving. Totally befuddled by their refusal to accept an IDL. It is still something you want to have though. 

If you usually rent your car from Avis, Budget, Hertz, why not ask in hotel reception if they can fix a limo with driver. Often/always mabe the receptionist has a cousin with a limo - but be careful the car can be from 1962. But there're several independant guys in Pattaya with new cars. Price with driver - less than driving yourself with Avis and so on.

Mekong,

By the by, adding 'respectfully' to 'shut the fuck up' still doesn't make it a respectful request. :lol::spank::argue:

Cent

I've heard it before in London, a very typical english expression - that "respectfully" before an insult it's the style of an english gentleman in the end of 17hundreds up to now.... :tophat:

Archived