Car Rental And Licence Rules

Guest baldrick

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

valid for 5 years when issued in Belgium.

never been asked to show it when I rent a car (every year) in Thailand, or even last year in the US for that matter.

only a valid CC :)

BB

but as mekong said in the event of an accident its something that could be used against you by the insurance company to not pay out, leaving one in shit creek without a paddle and a big hole in your boat!!!

Guest lazyphil

up coming trip with my daughter fly bkk connect to phuket taxi to khao sok NP for 5 nights taxi to ao nang krabi for 7 nights taxi (or rental car) to koh lanta for 7 nights over night train from trang to bkk 2 nights there

will rent a car in krabi, might drive to koh lanta with it, i wonder if i can drop off in trang?

up coming trip with my daughter fly bkk connect to phuket taxi to khao sok NP for 5 nights taxi to ao nang krabi for 7 nights taxi (or rental car) to koh lanta for 7 nights over night train from trang to bkk 2 nights there

will rent a car in krabi, might drive to koh lanta with it, i wonder if i can drop off in trang?

Trang had a Avis station when TG still had its daily flights to Trang. not sure nowadays. With the international rental car companies you can rent and drop off at all their stations

but frankly speaking car with driver is cheap in Thailand. are you feeling comfortable to drive everywhere yourself in Thailand? can you read signs that are only written in Thai?

"An IDP is only valid for one year. They are likely driving around on one of the scam versions from the Inernet."

I can order a swedish IDP without showing the DL by post or telephone (probably also using internet) from at least 3 motor organisations. So it's not a scam but still not legal without the DL. By law an IDP is a translation of your DL and not a DL at all.

How can they do a translation of your DL without you showing them the DL? :dunno:

You are correct, they cannot be valid after the expiry of the corresponding domestic driver's license.

Indeed, there are indeed a number of authorized organzation in Sweeden that can issue real IDP's

International driving licencesHolders of a valid Swedish licence may be issued with an international driving licence.

These are issued by:

– Försvarets Motorklubb

– Kungliga Automobil Klubben (KAK)

– Motorförarnas Helnykterhetsförbund

(MHF)

– Motormännens Riksförbund (M)

– OK Förlaget AB

– Sveriges MotorCyklister (SMC)

– Caravan Club of Sweden.

An international driving licence

TH

Mekong,

So, you have and were requested for the IDL after an accident by the cops or the insurance company you were using? What's your story on this? It could be illuminating for the members here if so.

By the by, adding 'respectfully' to 'shut the fuck up' still doesn't make it a respectful request. :lol::spank::argue:

Cent

Don’t worry about it Cent. Mekong is a bit touchy about this since in the last thread some time ago on IDP’’s he came our pushing an “International Drivers License†that required no corresponding domestic one that he had been using for years. I pointed out it was a scam and a worthless piece of paper.

Still doesn’t answer the question if the IDP is required to make a insurance claim why do the major car rental agencies in Thailand (and the US for that matter) not require it when renting the car and selling you the insurance?

TH

Guest lazyphil

Trang had a Avis station when TG still had its daily flights to Trang. not sure nowadays. With the international rental car companies you can rent and drop off at all their stations

but frankly speaking car with driver is cheap in Thailand. are you feeling comfortable to drive everywhere yourself in Thailand? can you read signs that are only written in Thai?

i'm no expert and cant read thai but i've driven around phuket and phang nga several times in rental cars, i couldn't drive in bkk i doubt without getting in a huge pickle lol.....but in the sleepy south its great fun and total freedom.

is a driver that cheap?....i really doubt it would fit my feeble budget

can you read signs that are only written in Thai?

You have to go far upcountry to find road signs not in English these days. There can be a problem with temporary construction signs pointing out detours, but overall, in some 10 years, not being able to read Thai has never been a problem driving in Thailand.

Driving in Bangkok is only a problem if you don't know where you are going. Miss a turn and it can take a long time to get back to the same place to try again. Once you learn your way around the expressways and the side streets you need to use, it is not a problem and safer than out in the country as the speeds are much lower.

TH

Archived