Exchange Rate Usd - Thb 30 December 2012

elef

This topic has been discussed many times and often resulted in an infected discussion.

Exhange rates are based on fundamentals and market expectations.

I don't want just guesses but some reasons for your opinion also.

OK, my POV. USA have long time said that the chinese yuan is undervalued, no other government or central banks have said something like that. For me it indicates that the dollar is overvalued.

A few days ago the ECB chief told that euro crise is over (btw, I dont think so) and now the world must focus on the bad economy in USA.

USA owe China 3 trillion dollars if we use the UK/USA meaning of a trillion (that's a billion in most other countries).

So my question is, how many baht will you get for a dollar if you change in a bank in Thailand 30 december 2012?

Closest guess will win a box with 12 big Chang in january 2013 - in Pattaya or Bangkok. If I win all of you can buy me a big Chang instead.... :cheerleader:

My guess is 25!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

elef,

what do I care about the USD / TBH at all ?

I care about the Euro / TBH !

BB

I've checked the calendar - probably 28 december 2012 is the last bankday, on 30th just the banks in BKK airport will be open. :xmassmile

BB, let me think about that some days and we can bet on that too. I'll go to Spain so euro is maybe important for me too. Else SEK is important for me. There will be one for the euro if somebody else isn't quicker than me...

:beer: (Probably I can bring some Cruzcampo as prize...)

election year will boost recovery of US economy, which started already to improve slightly. This will also strengthen the USD in comparison to Europe, where new debt problems in additional countries pop up.

Thailand will see growing political tension which could worsen when Taksin returns; October/November could see another flood crises in Central Thailand with higer economic impact than last year's flood on GDP, foreign investment and tourist industry.

THB : USD 33.80 Highest since mid 2009

THB : EURO 42.25

USD : EURO 1.25

Would be nice wouldn't it?

The problem is for it to go that high it would mean that the Thai economy will not reach the 5.7% growth forecasted for 2012 and had very likely shrunk for it to reach that level.

If the ecomony grows as predicated, I think the FX rate will continue stay around 30. The major factor would be how much captial foreign investors bring in to invest in SET or property funds. When they start coming in, the rate will go down even more.

TH

1. Anyone who thinks the problems in Europe are done and dusted is delusional. Greece and its partners in greed are a black hole - you dont send rockets filled with money into a black hole.

2. The Yuan is undervalued - no question, but the Chinese government have sworn to keep it that way. Send them an email.

As long as China continues to buy our minerals, I'm *hoping* that our dollar will remain above 30 baht - everything else is pure speculation. Asia will be calling the shots by the middle of the 21st Century - 60% of the world's wealth, leaving the rest of us 40% : I guess the pendulum had to swing eventually. When I look at countries like Brazil, prepared to fuck the entire planet for 'progress', we might have just shot ourselves in the head with a mining tax. C'est la Vie.

Every Thai child should be learning Mandarin. And History. I have a feeling both will come in handy in the coming decades - I hope I'm too drunk/dead to notice.

• 3 weeks later...

Australian government currently putting pressure on our Reserve Bank to lower the cash rate in an attempt to devalue our strong dollar - its hurting our exporters. Everything I 've read about similar calls in Thailand is that the government wants the baht to remain strong - happy to hear otherwise from those of you on the ground.

Archived