Exchange Rate Usd - Thb 30 December 2012

elef

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

32 to 30 already since april!

I'm amazed that its still that high against the baht - the AUD has slid against the greenback courtesy of our good friends in Europe and softening demand from China, not to mention all the nervous nellies pulling their money out of the market.

The media are both amusing and alarming - on the same day that they told us how good a falling dollar is for our exporters, there was intense hand-wringing over exactly who the hell would want said exports anyway when their economies are in the toilet ! They've just released a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at the Chinese market, full of all the usual stock images of rainforests/Uluru/harbour bridge, heavily panned as a 'screensaver with voiceover', and now we sit back and wait for plane loads of Chinese to save our tourism industry from itself.

Hopefully, I wont have to endure any more stories from cab drivers about tourists getting in their cab at Sydney Airport and wanting to go to Uluru. :banghead:

Baht nears two-week high

Thailand's baht advanced toward its strongest level in two weeks and government bonds fell after policy makers from the world's leading economies agreed to coordinate their response to Europe's financial crisis.

The Bloomberg-JPMorgan Asia Dollar Index climbed the most in eight weeks and the MSCI Asia-Pacific Index of shares rose after Japanese Finance Minister Jun Azumi said on Tuesday that officials from the Group of Seven nations will work together to help put the public finances of Spain and Greece on a sustainable footing.

"Coordinated support will help stabilise the situation in Europe," said Hideki Hayashi, a researcher at the Japan Centre for Economic Research in Tokyo. "That is leading to better sentiment in emerging-market stocks and currencies. However, this will be only temporary as the debt problem still persists."

The baht on Wednesday appreciated 0.6 per cent to 31.44 per US dollar, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

The currency reached 31.43 on Tuesday, the strongest level since May 23. One-month implied volatility, a measure of exchange-rate swings used to price options, was unchanged at 4.52 per cent.

My link

Keep dreaming HT - you're just pissed off cause you now realise you could have made a killing if you had bought Aussie dollars a day before the GDP figures were released !

If memory serves me correctly, currency speculators didnt have much luck when they tried to drag the Aussie dollar down in the 90s currency crisis - the Reserve Bank bounced them off the ropes and backslammed them. I would love to have seen the look on even a single scumbag's face when they realised their little game of regional dominoes didnt extend to countries with a clue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_currency_crisis

Thailand's economy developed into a bubble fueled by "hot money". More and more was required as the size of the bubble grew. The same type of situation happened in Malaysia, and Indonesia, which had the added complication of what was called "crony capitalism".[6] The short-term capital flow was expensive and often highly conditioned for quick profit. Development money went in a largely uncontrolled manner to certain people only, not particularly the best suited or most efficient, but those closest to the centers of power

Fortunately, 'crony capitalism' is a thing of the past in Thailand, right ? :banghead:

Read the Wikipedia piece and ask yourself whether the IMF would be able to bail even a single country out if something similar happened tomorrow. Europe has put us all on a precipice. We have a few more minerals left in WA - beyond that, things could get very grim, but I wont be here to see it. :evilpumpkin:

Archived