April A Crap Month For Los ?

gobbledonk

As always, I like to plan everything 2 years in advance, but the prospect of landing in BKK in the middle of the hottest month and having to hide out in a hotel room to avoid Songkran doesn't appeal to me. Given that its also the hottest month in Cambo, I guess I'll have to go north for a month or so. That, or go back to that deserted beach south of Chumphon and wait it out.

Songkran can be avoided by staying away from tourist areas. As to going north, Songkran once was celebrated only in the north ... but has said spread to almost the whole of the country. Be warned that Songkran in the north can be carried on for as long as 2 weeks! Kids in the countryside are reluctant to give it up. :p

There is very little Songkran nuttiness in my neighbourhood. Children will be out, but usually ignore adults. The "war wagons" will prowl the streets, looking for others to do battle with. If you don't look like you want to join in, they usally spare you. But in the tourist areas, it is the tourists who are the most obnoxious! :(

So I've been told. It wasn't like that in the past. I remember Songkran as a respectful time, when Thais would wai you and ask to "rot nam" you. Then they would pour a bit of perfumed water over your extended hands. I actually got that from a couple in my neighbourhood last year. But times have obviously changed. Even my wife complains about Songkran, and she is from the North.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrtsO2Ho2tg

Lao new year (Pi Mai), is coincidentally, the same time and of the same nature as Songkran.

I'm getting out of town and heading off to Ha Noi in Vietnam.

Brilliant plan, 24 hrs on one of those sleeper buses, that plunge into ravines, killing 44 but not the driver, you know what I mean....

Lao new year (Pi Mai), is coincidentally, the same time and of the same nature as Songkran.

I'm getting out of town and heading off to Ha Noi in Vietnam.

Brilliant plan, 24 hrs on one of those sleeper buses, that plunge into ravines, killing 44 but not the driver, you know what I mean....

Coss,

Sounds like fun, except the crash and burn stuff. What? No Songkran type holiday in VN? TET?

Cent

Archived