Why Do So Many Falang Think They Are The Authority On Thailand?

Shibuya

There is a weird obsession on Thailand related message-boards (especially nightlife) with people considering themselves, or wanted to be considered by others, to be the authority on all things Thai related.

Why?

Is it because the nightlife gets to their head and they get used to bar girls agreeing with them all the time, and so think they are like gods?

Loss of perspective, really.

Kind of silly when we are talking about prostitution, for the most part.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

No idea. I've been here almost 15 years, but the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything.

Sanuk!

Nightlife related, what is there to learn? One can come 2 times, a week in BKK, a week in Pattaya and they are experts on nightlife. Easy, there are handfull of things to understand and that is it.

That has nothing to do with anything else Thai related. Not even the particpants (the girls) correspond to mainstream Thai society.

A slightly modified version of that "knowledge" works in Cambodia, The Philipines. It is a delusion of people equilizing knowledge of nightlife with any other knowledge of the country or even city.

Judging by the sheepish look of many "nighlife experts" you can tell they know nothing, not even about the places and countries they came from.

I got involved in a row with some "experts" on another forum on the topic of living in Thailand.

What i found amazing was the number of people who DONT live in Thailand, but visit every year, dispensing advice to people that DO live here on day to day things like truevisions, condo security guards, shopping for groceries, water rates, taxi drivers etc etc

That doesnt happen in other countries.

Tourists to Australia dont tell Ex Pats where to subscribe to cable TV .

It's getting a young wife or girlfriend.

They consider that anyone clever enough to get a bird half his age must be smart in every other field as well...

Even if she is charging him 2000B a short time.

Yeah thats true.

Although he says he pays 1000 on the forums.

I love this thread. Self described "suave" and "savvy" traveller explains to the great unwashed how to save 50 baht on a taxi.

http://www.bangkokladyboys.net/forum/index.php?/topic/154-arriving-in-bkk-and-need-taxi/

Local dont agree. What do they know?

Yeah yeah, a tranny forum.

it does not need much to be an expert about Thailand. Once you have seen Suk Soi 4 - Suk Soi 23, you know 99% of the relevant areas! you know the bars, the whores, the LT and ST rates, the scams, the taxis, accommodation, the food, the prices etc.etc. What else would be of any interest in Thailand!

Archived