Why Do So Many Falang Think They Are The Authority On Thailand?

Shibuya

gobble-

It seems that when people are banned on Thai forums they keep coming back under different names. Maybe this happens on other forums on other subjects but I've never noticed it on any I'm on.

It might be that guys like this place so much they can't let it go even when they leave.

Right - ask KS how many times he had to ban the creature-known-as-frede .......

Granted, most of the reincarnations here are innocuous, but in at least one case it was because the old identity had too much baggage - not enough to get him banned, but definitely enough to see him relocate upcountry and scale back on his posting efforts. No names, no pack drill.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if there is anything particularly 'heroic' in surviving a city with indoor plumbing, first-rate medical facilities and reliable electricity supply. Back in Jim Thompson's day - maybe - but that is a long time ago. When was the last time a Farang in BKK contracted malaria or typhoid ? Even the unfortunate wretches who get thrown into a Thai jail for 20 years seem to emerge looking tanned and fit - no doubt with help from outside, but my point is that they survived. The few who completely lose the plot are a sad sight, but most people seem to lead lives not too dissimilar from any urbanised existence on the planet. Personally, I dont think Bangkok can continue to sustain its citizens unless changes are made, but thats a topic for another thread.

Thank god we all do pretend to be experts, otherwise there'd be a lot less discussion on any of these boards - just a bunch of humble and uninformed folks asking Flashermac and a few others (preferably really only Thais, in the end, of course) their advice on the same old shit every day...

YimSiam, Dishonorary Doctor of Nightlife and Lowlife Thai Studies

I just try to envision: The guy talks about a relationship problem with GTG or BR and response he gets is:

- oh, I don't know, LOS is complex and I am only married to one BG since twenty years;

- and the next punter chimes in: I only go to bars in BKK, sorry I can't tell you anything about your Patty BG, especially since she is working in beer bar and not in a Gogo bar;

- while the next explores the question, if this BG from Udon might have a different cultural background than a BG from Chiang Mai and what kind of role her grandma plays in the relationship.

- Soon Flash enters the scene and tells a story about the last BG he bar fined in 1971, who actually was Khmer, therefore he can't say anything at all.

- Only Mekong and Munchi discuss the hard facts, especially if paying 1.773 THB LT to a beer bar BG is completely foolish. But after three pages of verbal fights it becomes apparent that both never paid 1.773 THB for long time (or anything else in LOS) and therefore KS bans both for 12 minutes for being completely untrustworthy in regard to bar fines in the range of 1.769 THB to 1.777 THB.

- Only KS keeps cool by saying that the OP might be in trouble or maybe not, especially since no one knows if the BG drinks her lady drink with our without ice.

cheerleader.gif

Archived