Why Do So Many Falang Think They Are The Authority On Thailand?

Shibuya

What i found amazing was the number of people who DONT live in Thailand, but visit every year, dispensing advice to people that DO live here on day to day things like truevisions, condo security guards, shopping for groceries, water rates, taxi drivers etc etc

That doesnt happen in other countries.

Tourists to Australia dont tell Ex Pats where to subscribe to cable TV .

I'll take the bait, given that I'm one of the few regulars here who have never spent 12 consecutive months in Thailand ....

Many years ago in Oz, a band called Redgum had a hit with a sarcastic tune called 'I've been to Bali, too' - the point being that spending 2K (it was the 80s) on a trip to a 3rd world country didnt imbue one with mystical hippie powers. Every single time I find myself standing in an endless queue at Swampy with several hundred Australians and half of Asia, that bloody song starts playing in my head. I've done a couple of 3-months stints on Suk Soi 22, so of course I feel superior to my fellow weekend warriors - I know how Bangkok *really* works, dont I ? Er, no, I dont, and most of the longtimers here could dredge up some of my more cringeworthy posts. Bastards.

For all of the above, I've rarely commented on the day-to-day crap you list above. Boring shit, and why would I try to tell someone who lives in Moscow where to find caviar in the local supermarket ?? I've also learnt (go figure ..) that there are helpful chaps like ThaiHome who will leap on anything that smells like BS, and I have to pull my horns in and acknowledge that he has walked the walk - I just watched other people walking from my apartment building before going back to bed. I cant overstate the toll that 16 hours on Soi 4 takes on one's body. Who knew that being a pitiful, drunken monger didn't qualify me as an expert on Thai labour laws ?

Eventually, if you post often enough, most people will just throw their arms in the air and leave you, all alone, to prognosticate on all things Thailand. Its fantastic - I just need to invent a few more 'board members' to agree with me and I will be set. Oh, and ask KS to block ThaiHome from logging in.

I'm off to tell some people on Ajarn just how fucked English teachers in Thailand are. Bastards.

Qantas flight 20, Denpasar, meals and accom', rent-a-car

I've been to Bali, I've been to Bali too

Took a two week course at a suntan clinic

So lying round legian and I wouldn't look anaemic

And you can't impress me, 'cause I've been to Bali too

Got a ride out to Kuta in the back of a truck

Cost me twenty dollars and it wasn't worth a buck

Hustled to a losman down Poppies Lane

By a Javanese guy in a tropical rainstorm

Lock up your daughters, I've been to Bali too

Life is tragic hanging out at Kuta

If you haven't got a car, a bike or a scooter

Show me the bike shop, I've been to Bali too

Got myself a Honda, had to get away

No brakes, bald tyres, five thousand rupees a day

I've been to Bali too.

Well I don't ride a bike much home in Australia

As a motorcycle hero guess I'm a failure

Bemos to the left, trucks to the right

[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/ive-been-to-bali-too-lyrics-redgum.html ]

The Honda was a wreck but I was alright

Hello mecurochrome, I've been to Bali too

Wired home for money, short of cash

A dose of Bali belly and a tropical rash

Daddy came through - American Express

Bali t-shirts, magic mushrooms, Redgum bootlegs

I've been to Bali too

Took my bag and mozzie coils to Peliatan

It's there were my Bali trip really began

Been there, done that, I've been to Bali too

Tourists from Holland, Britain and France

Late night puppet shows, leg on dance

Want to see my slides, I've been to Bali too

Well I wandered off to Ubud, just a little up the track

One week there didn't want to come back

Listening to Gamelon playing guitar

Janteris, tacos, Hotel Monara, two month visa

I've been to Bali too.

Flying Kangaroo out of Denpasser, left

Read more: REDGUM - I'VE BEEN TO BALI TOO LYRICS http://www.metrolyrics.com/ive-been-to-bali-too-lyrics-redgum.html#ixzz1rLQbT1xK

Copied from MetroLyrics.com

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank god we all do pretend to be experts, otherwise there'd be a lot less discussion on any of these boards - just a bunch of humble and uninformed folks asking Flashermac and a few others (preferably really only Thais, in the end, of course) their advice on the same old shit every day... And it's only when experts collide that interesting and competing views result in any good posts and any entertainment for the board members... Why do we pretend to be experts? We do it for you, Shibuya, we do it for you!

YimSiam, Dishonorary Doctor of Nightlife and Lowlife Thai Studies

The root cause comes from our (western) education.

An example, one of 100s of thousands: Mickey Mouse comes to some island where primitives greet him, becomes a king there. That kind of rubbish has been burned into our heads, like they burn the code into computer chips.

A general sense of superiority. Who can not speak English well, is inferior and stupid.

Have some money, get a few things done in BKK, establish yourself and that is it. I can do it.

A total ignorance and disrespect for Asia and how things work there.

I see that every day (working for an American company in Japan), from our CEO (from America) down to every Corp visitor regardless where they come from (out of Asia).

Can't remember how many tragicomic examples I have seen. Even from people who had lived in Japan, Hong Kong, China or Thailand.

I just wish some expats could learn to let things go through to the keeper - some truly colossal egos out there, particularly when it comes to money. Although its steadily changing here, most Australians don't spend every waking hour comparing their salary to those around them - I get the distinct impression that this is something that Americans care deeply about. Money is important - no question - but it shouldnt be the sole purpose of our existence.

I just wish some expats could learn to let things go through to the keeper - some truly colossal egos out there, particularly when it comes to money. Although its steadily changing here, most Australians don't spend every waking hour comparing their salary to those around them - I get the distinct impression that this is something that Americans care deeply about. Money is important - no question - but it shouldnt be the sole purpose of our existence.

As I posted here, on this Board the money is important, especially when you have to go down. Down 50-60%.

For what? To live in BKK?

On Thai 2.4 mil baht per year my family would be devastated. Even though we own a brand new condo, sitting fully furnished and dormant, no accommodation cost.

The position that I have turned down is still open, they may even pay BKK Pattana Internationals School (that equivalent I easily pay in Japan from my local salary, 25K US$).

They are in need, I could get into that job and then what? Have to continue to be lucky and keep it, little depending on my own merit. Only their need.

OK, you can go about the money, I was more what it does for the family.

Eventually, if you post often enough, most people will just throw their arms in the air and leave you, all alone, to prognosticate on all things Thailand. Its fantastic - I just need to invent a few more 'board members' to agree with me and I will be set.

gobble-

It seems that when people are banned on Thai forums they keep coming back under different names. Maybe this happens on other forums on other subjects but I've never noticed it on any I'm on.

It might be that guys like this place so much they can't let it go even when they leave.

gobble-

It seems that when people are banned on Thai forums they keep coming back under different names. Maybe this happens on other forums on other subjects but I've never noticed it on any I'm on.

It might be that guys like this place so much they can't let it go even when they leave.

We have the same problem on my movie forum and on my ferrari forum. It's not just thai forums believe me.

Not necessarily restricted to Americans.

It amuses me the way some people go endlessly on about their salaries, their jobs, the quality of their wives, the brilliance of their educational qualifications... the love and respect of all that really know and truly understand them.

I detect a common thread though these paeans of self praise though and that is a genuine lack of true happiness and even a possible discontent with their lives.

Others with lesser toy collections seem happier, a modest home and income and the love of their wife and family is all that it takes.

Archived