Thai Bar Girl, Now My Wife

think_too_mut

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironically, when I first came to Thailand the North was the main source of BGs and MP girls. Several villages were especially noted for their young women entering the sex trade. Massage parlours were filled with Northern women, the whiter the better. But as the North's economy improved, fewer went into it and the emphasis had shifted to the Northeast by the early 1980s. Nowadays it is unusual to find a Northerner in the bars.

The northern girls were famous for their beauty and infamous for HIV/AIDS. I think that had quite a lot to do with them leaving the entertainment venues too. I never saw any statistics but I think the death toll was very high.

Mekong, HT, gentlemen, you are right - for the wrong reason.

The minimum salary is the minimum but good companies pay more than that.

The numbers posted are more for other reasons: everything else is calculated based on that minimum salary. Health contributions, pensions, government salaries, taxes.

Small wonder then, when Yingluck declared minimum salary has to be lifted to 300THB (a populist measure), there was an uproar, not so much from businesses but from the government officials. That would mean, Thai government will have to find extra 30 billion US$ a year to keeep up with the new stats and adjust everything else that leans on that figure (of a minimum salary).

Just today.

The ballet concert was a success, my daughter has performed a skilled dance in front of 2,000 people.

Quite a promotion, in Japan where we are all strangers. In the laminated brochure, with photos of the performers, my daughter was with the longest name (no kanji).

The mother (my wife), has been there, with Japanese mothers, for days and days, in the dressing room, big effort, she had a badge as an "official".

Where we started from...

ttm, congratulations on it all & keep enjoying life in japan with the thai twist :)

take care & thanks for the update on your family life...

10 years is quite some time, but it's the next 10, 20, 40 years that's really gonna separate the divorcees from the long stayers :p

The minimum salary is the minimum but good companies pay more than that.

you are right but that is maximum some 10-20% over the minimum plus some voluntary benefits (food, transportation, kiddiecare etc).

otherwise those companies are not competitive anymore

as low wages is one of the main reason those factories are built in Thailand. Sure some neighbor countries have even lower wages, but can not meet Thailand regarding: relative reliable legal system, good infrastructure (utilities, transportation) and skilled workers/supervisors

you are right but that is maximum some 10-20% over the minimum plus some voluntary benefits (food, transportation, kiddiecare etc).

otherwise those companies are not competitive anymore

as low wages is one of the main reason those factories are built in Thailand. Sure some neighbor countries have even lower wages, but can not meet Thailand regarding: relative reliable legal system, good infrastructure (utilities, transportation) and skilled workers/supervisors

It's more, probably double. Say 7,500THB doubles with 4 hours overtime a day.

The workers are not missing much on their free time (not yachting or golfing while not at work), earn as much as possible. Same as in Shanghai and Shenzen.

Labor cost is almost negligable part of the overall cost.

Just this example: Caterpillar boots, retailing in the US for 59$ while workers making them in China are paid 200$ a month.

If workers wages doubled (to 400$), the boots would be 61$.

It's more, probably double. Say 7,500THB doubles with 4 hours overtime a day.

The workers are not missing much on their free time (not yachting or golfing while not at work), earn as much as possible. Same as in Shanghai and Shenzen.

we were talking about basic salary. sure if you include 4 hours overtime a day you get close to double the minimum wage

we were talking about basic salary. sure if you include 4 hours overtime a day you get close to double the minimum wage

Why only minimum? We can also talk possibility of basic salary + overtime + saturdays and get 30,000THB salary. Some in America live on less than that.

Is that not an option before someone drops out and goes to Pattaya to, with luck, earn half or third of that?

Surely is and whoever can, goes for it. Those that don't, well, we get stories about exploatation as if going under whoever pays in Pattaya is not.

According to a executive veteran from a big storage systems company, Toshiba has decided not to pursue disk assembly in Thailand anymore - resulting on around 4,200 employees losing their job - and to transfer all the production - mainly 2.5-inch HDDs - in China and the Philippines.

Archived