Happy Easter!

Flashermac

Easter is, fortunately an event that seems to have gone unnoticed in Lao.

Indeed they closed a couple of churches in the south if you can believe - advocacy group, Human Rights Watch for Lao Religious Freedom (HRWLRF).

And for the sake of plausible deniability, I don't think it happened.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very surprised it hasn't been seized on by Thai businesses. Thais have turned Christmas into a sales event here, one devoid of religious connotations. I wonder why they don't go for Easter as well - with chocolate bunnies, coloured eggs, Easter baskets etc. Seems like a good way to get kids to demand their parents spend money.

:easter:

p.s. The bunny painting an egg emoticon seems to have disappeared.

I am very surprised it hasn't been seized on by Thai businesses. Thais have turned Christmas into a sales event here, one devoid of religious connotations. I wonder why they don't go for Easter as well - with chocolate bunnies, coloured eggs, Easter baskets etc. Seems like a good way to get kids to demand their parents spend money.

:easter:

p.s. The bunny painting an egg emoticon seems to have disappeared.

My wife, since moving to the U.S. three years ago, has learned that if she wiats until the day after Halloween and Easter, she can buy candy for less than half price. She saves most of it to take back to LOS for her mother and sister's family.

That's why the nutter in California created Kwanzaa - an alleged harvest festival - in the winter, from the day after Christmas to New Year's Day. He readily admitted to the timing in TV interviews.

He also picked Swahili, the language of the East African slave and ivory trade, because it was fairly easy to learn (even though it has absolutely nothing to do with African Americans).

Any I could make money from. I remember hearing it said when I was a kid that Christmas was the Jewish merchants' favourite holiday. :)

I don't think Hannukah would go over. Not exciting enough. And forget Ramadan. Who the hell wants to go hungry and thirsty all day, just so you can pig out at night? :hmmm:

Thais like fun holidays and ignore all of the religious stuff. 

Archived