Another Big Earthquake In Sumatra

Horneytorney

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what is a Tsunami warning sensor installed by LOS authorities?

something that "sense" the huge waves when they reach shore or are close to shore? guess then it is too late! I think such alarm systems work a bit different!

US bouys easily do this by measuring the rise / fall due to waves passing under them and comparing vs the average for time and day. It's ultra simple teck now days.

A bit late now, but yes around 4 to 5 pm it was very apparent of the earthquake in our BKK Asoke area high rise. Blinds (curtains) started to move and rattle for a few minutes actually. After a few minutes the PA system for the building came on announcing the quake and all was ok in the building. So definitely a large movement. The second quake we didn't feel as much as the first one.

Since 2004, any quake felt it is just natural to "head for the hills" if your around the coast. But why was this not common knowledge before year 2004? It must have been a long time since a major Tsunami hit the coast around here (Thailand/SE Asia).

what is a Tsunami warning sensor installed by LOS authorities?

something that "sense" the huge waves when they reach shore or are close to shore? guess then it is too late! I think such alarm systems work a bit different!

It certainly does. It is seizmic, nothing to do with the waves and their height.

It senses if the quake has caused a vertical movement of the plates, as it did on Boxing day 2004. That triggers tsunami. Japanese knew that within minutes and informed Indonesia but they failed to alarm the public.

This one did not have vertical movements and it was known within less than a minute. BBC had someone saying no tsunami comes after this quake long before the warning was lifted.

The cars seen beeing wiped off the bridges and streets in Japanese tsunami last year were packed with people trying to escape. They had known 40 mins earlier it was coming. But old population and 30km to the nearest high ground, what could they do other than start the car and cause traffic jams? Many survived due to the protection their cars provided to them.

Way off track, the IOTWS was not developed until after the 2004 Tsunami

That's why I said "test run". spin.gif I know that it had been installed after the Tsunami, but I can't find the news about the Thai parts not working properly. Maybe I remember it wrong.

They just interviewed an egghead in Melbourne who gave the usual useless 'information' that every other earthquake expert hands out - they are all 'wise after the event' fuckers and have clearly been told that they have to be wary of spreading fear and panic in tourist areas.

Looals are traumatised in Aceh, Phuket and many other towns around the Indian Ocean and Mr Propellorhead is droning on about how 'interesting' the aftershock pattern has been in this quake. Oh, and its a crack in the plate they weren't previously aware of - fan-fucking-tastic. Seriously, we'd be better served by consulting a Thai fortune teller than paying these clowns for their opinions. Hand back those doctorates, lads - seismology is about as useful as Scientology. About all we do know is that the Indoensian chain is a powderkeg that will eventually take out a very large chunk of the region. Party on.

List of Volcanoes in Indonesia

That's why I said "test run". spin.gif I know that it had been installed after the Tsunami, but I can't find the news about the Thai parts not working properly. Maybe I remember it wrong.

I remember that too. It's diffrent system, Thai military was to maintain it, based on sensing waves height. An immediate answer, within months, to the 2004. tsunami.

Archived