Misconceptions About Thailand

think_too_mut

"Thai man no good".

Let's start with that notorious one, heard many times over.

The statement may be true. When heard from women who know their ranking. Thais, within seconds, assess who is who, including bargirls.

Other than the stretch Sukhumvit Soi 4 - 22, wherever you look, almost all the people came from a Thai men. Thai fathers.

Instinctively knowing their social limits and position, those who say "Thai man no good" know they are talking tuk-tuk drivers, security guards, just people they are likely to meet, their social level.

Everybody knows, except us.

So, in a way, they are right. The scum that would ever look at them, is no good. No office people or above would ever interact with them. Not even look at them.

When we hear "Thai man no good" we think we are better. Gentlemen. While Thais are skunks that drive such (to us beautiful) girls into our arms.

Bollocks.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. It means the BGs are telling their customer what he wants to hear, the first rule of business.

I'd say a big part of it is that they can talk to a Thai man, say everything they want, maybe unload on him. They can't do that with many foreigners because of the language problem. When I was in publishing, I went out several times a week. It was my business to know what was happening - in the nightlife and other parts of the tourist trade. Some of the dancers got to know me and that I could understand pretty much of whatever they wanted to say. Then I learned all sorts of things about them, their problems, their worries, their lives in general. They just wanted someone to listen. A Thai man could do that for them. A tourist couldn't. I could to a large extent, but still not as much as one of their own men could.

Nope. It means the BGs are telling their customer what he wants to hear, the first rule of business.

I'd say a big part of it is that they can talk to a Thai man, say everything they want, maybe unload on him. They can't do that with many foreigners because of the language problem. When I was in publishing, I went out several times a week. It was my business to know what was happening - in the nightlife and other parts of the tourist trade. Some of the dancers got to know me and that I could understand pretty much of whatever they wanted to say. Then I learned all sorts of things about them, their problems, their worries, their lives in general. They just wanted someone to listen. A Thai man could do that for them. A tourist couldn't. I could to a large extent, but still not as much as one of their own men could.

Nice writeup but I don't believe in that. Their problems are exactly what they are as the problems themselves. What Thai would listen to them?

For us, BGs say whatever they scramble to say, some cliches rote learned from somewhere, even from "English for lovers" brochures.

They don't talk to Thai men, they are already out of that realm.

If they do, that could be a guy who motosai them to (bar) work. And counts the money after (her) "work".

"thai man no good" comes simply from the fact that many BG got pregnant early in their life by a thai guy, who did not take any responsibility for the kid. the guy did just financially not contribute anything for raising the kid or anything. they were left alone with the kid, gave it to their parents and went to Bangkok or Pattaya to earn some money as somehow they felt that is the easy way to earn some money to contribute to the parents.

Archived