New Hotel On Sukhumvit

Partyguy

The Hyatt Central Plaza Hotel opened in Lad Prao about 1987. Very nice hotel, but we all wondered why anyone would build a hotel out there in the sticks! There was almost nothing in that area at the time, just the well known Hor Wang School. No Central Department Store Lad Prao yet for years to come. I remember thinking the Central name was deceptive, since it was nowhere near the centre of Bangkok. Later there was a dispute with Hyatt and the owners ended the contract. I don't remember when Sofitel took it over, but it was about the time you say.   

The the first integrated shopping complex of Central Group was opened in 1982. CentralPlaza Lardprao

The hotel was opened in 1983.

Company Background

In 1983 the Central Group of companies formed Central Hotels & Resorts and opened its first property, the Hyatt Central Plaza Bangkok together with the Bangkok Convention Centre, in the expanding northern suburbs of Bangkok. The name of the hotel was later changed to the Sofitel Centara Grand Bangkok and it has become established as one of Bangkok's leading upscale hotels for both accommodation and the MICE industry

Centara Hotels and Resorts

Note: Central and Accor ended their relationship in December 2011. The hotel is now called the Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok.

New Year will ring in name changes at 3 Centara hotels

TH

Surprised it was that long ago. I was in publishing in the mid to late 1980s and I knew the PR manager of the Hyatt Central. She took over in 1987, when Hyatt was pouring a lot of money into publicity for the hotel. That was the first I ever heard of it. I had a news page of Bangkok hotel happenings in my monthly tourism magazine, and I got no PR releases from the Hyatt Central until she took over. The other 5-star hotels always kept me up to date on their happenings.

Central dept store may have been there, but none of us went to it. A trip to Lad Prao was a long drive through green countryside. You didn't go there unless you had a good reason too. Most people shopped at the Thai Daimaru, followed later by Robinson (which was eventually bought out by Central). They were both conveniently located downtown.

Accor own or manage 4,578 hotels around the world of which 53 are in Thailand.

They used to manage my usual Bangkok residence, The Regency Park on Suk Soi 22, but not any more.

They had a Novotel on Suk Soi 33 but that's no longer listed, so what is it now?

probably fumigated and closed down after your last stay.... :cover: ...... :grinyes:

Not sure either - also don't know how old this was:-

Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit

The Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit managed by Accor used to be known as the Novotel Lotus Bangkok. Not sure of the reason for the name change as it was always managed by Accor.

Archived