Thailand Is Being Westernized!

think_too_mut

Many say that but there is little or no truth in that.

Under the veener of modernity, Thai remain a deeply traditional, even feudal society.

Talking from Japan, the most advanced country in Asia and the most important US ally, I can tell you how little Japan has been "westernized".

Tradition lives so much better with all the gadgets and efficiencies and free exposure to the West. Unbreakable.

What is left for Thai then?

Going to Thai, I can see they copy Japanese fashion, hair styles, music, soapies, everything.

From my day at JP Embassy in BKK, I monitored how queue numbers go. There were 3,000 visas for Thais on that day. Makes 15,000 visas for Thais to Japan a week. Not sure how many go to America. Maybe 2-3 times more in a year than in 1 week to Japan?

Could be, 300 thousand factory workers and students go to Japan every year. They bring back stories of a clean, crime free country, no danger to wander around.

Just last week at Nara (old Japanese capital) I saw many Thais, unrelated to each other. One time I even saw the flight attendant from my TG flight into Nagoya the day after at Shirakawa-go.

Thai Airways has 60 flights weekly to Japan, BKK Airways another 5. Plus all others plying between Japan and Thai, could be 350 flights a week.

It is generally understood that Japan has no better friend in Asia than Thai and vv.

At kids parks, Japanese mothers would approach my wife and speak Thai to her. 100s of thousands have been to Thai (with their husbands, company paid Thai lessons) and that does not fade easily.

My opinion is, Japan is still (with Korean inroads over last 2-3 years) what UK was for Europe in 60s and 70s. With music, culture, fashion, as a lighthouse to look at. Plus commerce, far bigger impact than non-commercial things..

Don't know who pursues that idea of Thai being "westernized".

What they like is more of Asian values. Same or better than West but anyway "our own and known".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TTF

Your figures far exaggerate the facts

214,000 in 2010 and expected 300,000 in 2011 before March 11th Earthquake and Tsunami, well short of your 15,000 / week estimate.

Source

Probably the same amount of Thais visit Korea and they Outspend the Japanese tourists

That is what I know and what I saw at the JP Embassy in Thai.

FYI, there were even more after Thai floods - workers brought to Japan to continue what they could not in the inundated factories.

Nevertheless, does it contravene my point that Thais know where to go. Not to the West.

And not looking to the West for anything.

Nevertheless, does it contravene my point that Thais know where to go. Not to the West.

And not looking to the West for anything.

This is major trend which started in the 1990s and really took off in the past decade. In the past decades Japan emerged as the cultural flagship in Asia.

Since 1945 the Japanese consumer- and pop culture was highly influenced by the West, but this changed in the past two decades. Japanese pop/consumer culture became more and more independent and began to became more and more influential on its neighboring countries.

For example asian fashion designers didn't have to go to Paris or N.Y. anymore, they started to study design in Tokyo, or Japanese pop became an export item to Korea, Taiwan, e.g..

More recently Korea became very much en vouge as well. It happened in Japan when Japanese TV soap with Japanese-Korean storyline and a Korean actor became a huge success. Since then more Japanese went to Korea for holiday, started to learn the language, e.g.

Today we see an intense intercultural exchange in within Asian, while the West is sometimes is only a bystander and even began to absorb Japanese pop-culture (Manga, Anime, Cosplay, e.g.).

Less (cultural) developed countries like Thailand, which don't have a cultural production with an international appeal (Thai movies aside), are more or less consumers of Asian culture and not exporters.

I guess on the long run China will overtake Japan as the pop/consumer cultural leader in Asia. But still the Japanese culture is much more sophisticated than the Chinese.

This is major trend which started in the 1990s and really took off in the past decade. Before China emerged as leading country Japan was cultural flagship in Asia; for many decades the Japanese consumer- and pop culture was highly influenced by the West, but this changed in the past two decades. Japanese pop/consumer culture became more and more independent and was starting to have a huge influence on its neighboring countries. For example an asian fashion designer didn't have to go to Paris or N.Y. anymore, they started to study design in Tokyo. Japanese pop became an export item to Korea, Taiwan, e.g.. And later in Japan, Korea became very much en vouge (after a Japanese TV soap with Japanese-Korean storyline and a Korean actor became a huge success in Japan). Today it is more and more intercultural exchange in within Asian, while the West is merely a bystander or is even now absorbing Japanese pop-culture. Countries like Thailand, which don't have such a strong cultural production with an international appeal (Thai movies aside), are for this reason more consumers than exporters of Asian culture.

I guess on the long run China will overtake Japan as the pop/consumer cultural leader in Asia. Currently the Japanese culture is still much more sophisticated than the Chinese.

So, how is Thailand being "westernized"? In no way.

A credit to your post, yes, that is how it looks. But nothing new to me.

So, how is Thailand being "westernized"? In no way.

A credit to your post, yes, that is how it looks. But nothing new to me.

maybe a useless post from me but i have noticed the difference over the years in my playground.

many years ago i noticed 1 McDonalds and it was a beacon for the ladies,they loved the burgers.

but now the place is full of McDonalds/Starbucks/KFC and Subways outlets.

i like a subway roll and like it because it has different ingredients to what i get in the UK.

i also see people/shops selling kebabs on the street and i like to buy 1 occasionally.

food i like for a change,i don't always want Thai/Asian food so it's a good alternative.

not a fan of fast food places but i have noticed friends of mine turn their noses up at the fast food places and definately not impressed with a kebab..........more for me.

but i have also seen most bars will have a menu where you can order food and have it delivered to your barstool.

but much of this food is dimissed as not proper Thai food.

silly thing is i order what the locals recommend and then they just pooh-pooh it.

TIT.

Archived