Thailand Is Being Westernized!

think_too_mut

maybe a useless post from me but i have noticed the difference over the years in my playground.

many years ago i noticed 1 McDonalds and it was a beacon for the ladies,they loved the burgers.

but now the place is full of McDonalds/Starbucks/KFC and Subways outlets.

i like a subway roll and like it because it has different ingredients to what i get in the UK.

i also see people/shops selling kebabs on the street and i like to buy 1 occasionally.

food i like for a change,i don't always want Thai/Asian food so it's a good alternative.

not a fan of fast food places but i have noticed friends of mine turn their noses up at the fast food places and definately not impressed with a kebab..........more for me.

but i have also seen most bars will have a menu where you can order food and have it delivered to your barstool.

but much of this food is dimissed as not proper Thai food.

silly thing is i order what the locals recommend and then they just pooh-pooh it.

TIT.

That's what leads people think the West is advancing in Asia.

MacDonalds will close 400 outlets in Japan this year. Thai has 88 altogether.

Someone in Thai loved hamburgers? I heard the opposite: that food is not good for soi dogs. (Personally, I have always thought that). TV commercials still draw some customers. But really, does anyone in America really like that junk? Why would Thais?

Mostly, like nobody from the West is making any money in China, their MBA sad fucks put that "expansion" on their list to justify they are worth more than a bullet in their head.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what TTM says, it's still the same culture with a few Western gadgets.

Culture is in the home, the way the family is structured, they way their religion works, the respect system within their society...

If anything is damaging it I'd say it is the effect of Western style drugs like ya-ba on the youth.

I think what TTM says, it's still the same culture with a few Western gadgets.

Culture is in the home, the way the family is structured, they way their religion works, the respect system within their society...

If anything is damaging it I'd say it is the effect of Western style drugs like ya-ba on the youth.

Yep - they were much better off with centuries of easy access to cheap Opium, right ?

Personally, I think this is a storm in a teacup - TTM seems more impressed with the resilience of Japanese culture than anything specific to Thailand. I suspect that many older Japanese would see things very differently, but either way I dont give a hoot as long as I can find indoor plumbing and reliable electricity supply in Asia. Everything else is window dressing for a visitor and increasingly for expats who can spend years in country without even learning the language.

TTM, the next time you find yourself prone to posting about Japanese cultural superiority, please include this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g8_3MS9x50

We frequently talk about corruption in Thailand - its endemic in Japan. Why else would successive governments lie to their own people about the 'safety' of nuclear power plants, then try to cover up the post-tsunami disaster at Fukushima ?

Yep - they were much better off with centuries of easy access to cheap Opium, right ?

Personally, I think this is a storm in a teacup - TTM seems more impressed with the resilience of Japanese culture than anything specific to Thailand. I suspect that many older Japanese would see things very differently, but either way I dont give a hoot as long as I can find indoor plumbing and reliable electricity supply in Asia. Everything else is window dressing for a visitor and increasingly for expats who can spend years in country without even learning the language.

TTM, the next time you find yourself prone to posting about Japanese cultural superiority, please include this link:

We frequently talk about corruption in Thailand - its endemic in Japan. Why else would successive governments lie to their own people about the 'safety' of nuclear power plants, then try to cover up the post-tsunami disaster at Fukushima ?

Another drivel of yours, as usual. Worthless post as is 99% of the clueless litter you spam the board with.

You constructed that bullshit about japanese superiority just to post that junk that you dragged from the net.

Did you know? The skunk who made that video (people do eat dolphins there at that locality, as others eat beef) was a military trainer, training doplhins to stick mines to vessels and kill. Then dolphin trainer at waterparks.

Wasted his life just to find himself with depleted pension fund and then tried to impress people like you.

When NHK (Japanese national TV bradcaster) asked him to show the movie on their TV, he refused.

I am glad that criminals as himself (just from Wall Street) have destroyed his wealth, leaving him in the street and with few like you to believe he has a clue what he is doing.

As for Fukushima, nobody expects people like you to understand. Legal maximum of radiation in Japan is 1 milisievert per year. In Europe is 100 (one hundred). If Fukushima happened in Europe (some countries even entire nations would have disappeared from the face of the earth had they been hit with the same quake and tsunami), nobody would have been evacuated.

Set up a camp next to the Fukushima plant fence, stay there a year. You may get 4 miliseverts of radiation. Airline crew get 8 per year.

You just demonstrated what a racist is hiding behind all the moronic posts of yours.

That's what leads people think the West is advancing in Asia.

MacDonalds will close 400 outlets in Japan this year. Thai has 88 altogether.

Someone in Thai loved hamburgers? I heard the opposite: that food is not good for soi dogs. (Personally, I have always thought that). TV commercials still draw some customers. But really, does anyone in America really like that junk? Why would Thais?

western fastfood like hamburgers, fried chicken etc. is very popular in Thailand. Why else would so many outlets (oroginal MacDonalds, KFC and their copycats) pop up in all major supermarkets. But so is asian fastfood like Fuji, ramen, korean BBQ, MK, chinese dim sum etc.etc.

but why should this have anything to do with westernizing a culture or society

Mostly, like nobody from the West is making any money in China, their MBA sad fucks put that "expansion" on their list to justify they are worth more than a bullet in their head.

wrong! there are many western companies very successful in China if they adapt their strengths to the China market.

western fastfood like hamburgers, fried chicken etc. is very popular in Thailand. Why else would so many outlets (oroginal MacDonalds, KFC and their copycats) pop up in all major supermarkets. But so is asian fastfood like Fuji, ramen, korean BBQ, MK, chinese dim sum etc.etc.

but why should this have anything to do with westernizing a culture or society

Very popular? You can say that for US or Australia where eating at Mac is quite normal while in Thai it is more of an event. In Thai, very popular is som tum, western junk food will never come to 0.001% of that.

Asian "fast food" you mentioned is not really that, can't be.

For one, it's impossible to eat while you walk.

wrong! there are many western companies very successful in China if they adapt their strengths to the China market.

Not a single one. Not a single fuckin one.

Those that make money (like Volkswagen) do that through local Chinese operations where they pretty much watch what is happening, approve use of patents while Chinese run it.

Directly, they make just losses in an anticipation there will be better times. Citibank and similar heavyweights subsidize the cost draining other places.

Ask Cisco. China (Huawei) nearly killed it off as a company altogether. It was China that forced Cisco to shed 5,000 jobs end of last year.

My company, when you look at number of boxes sold and installed, is doing OK. Until you know the price was 70% lower than in the West, which brings no margin, just to maintain our presence there.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-26/apple-plans-further-china-investment-as-cook-visits-beijing-1-.html

Cook may also consider whether to own manufacturing or research facilities in the country, he said. Foxconn Technology Group, the world’s biggest contract manufacturer of electronics, makes the iPhone in China for Apple.

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6704.html

In the Harvard Business School case "Yum! China," professor David E. Bell and Agribusiness Program director and senior researcher Mary Shelman examine how Yum! Brands, the parent company of KFC and Pizza Hut, outperformed McDonald's and became the largest restaurant company in mainland China.

The case describes how Yum! China succeeded and expanded by staying local on many levels. It keeps close ties to the Chinese government, hires local management, sources food from within the country, and changes the menu to suit Chinese tastes and style of eating.

Very popular? You can say that for US or Australia where eating at Mac is quite normal while in Thai it is more of an event. In Thai, very popular is som tum, western junk food will never come to 0.001% of that.

Asian "fast food" you mentioned is not really that, can't be.

For one, it's impossible to eat while you walk.

sure in Nakhon Nowhere som tum is the most popular food. But look around in the supermarkets in Bangkok and other urban areas!

fast food should be defined by being able to eat it while walking? that's maybe your definition but whether you call them fast food or not, they are still there!

Archived