Thailand Is Being Westernized!

think_too_mut

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sure in Nakhon Nowhere som tum is the most popular food. But look around in the supermarkets in Bangkok and other urban areas!

Look and what? Going to Mac for Thais is an outing event. One shopping mall comes at 120,000 people. Sure, several hundred a day may have their "once a year" bite of what is flooding them from TV commercials.

If Japanese eat world famous sushi 1-2 times (not more) per month, why would eating Mac be any more frequent? It's probably once per year.

fast food should be defined by being able to eat it while walking? that's maybe your definition but whether you call them fast food or not, they are still there!

Tell me your definition.

MK, sukiyaki, try making and eating that while walking.

Right now, my wife is making 3 different meals for lunch, it is finished in 15 mins, does it consitute "fast" food?

Thai answer to KFC. Far better and cheaper and not new. Grilled chicken is everywhere, has been for centuries.

Pattaya Jomtien peddlers all have it but not as tasty as this.

Wang Nam Yen, I was watching kids pooling money and getting 1 grilled chicken to share. I loved that when I was a kid too.

360_ffood.jpg

Not a single one. Not a single fuckin one.

Those that make money (like Volkswagen) do that through local Chinese operations where they pretty much watch what is happening, approve use of patents while Chinese run it.

Directly, they make just losses in an anticipation there will be better times. Citibank and similar heavyweights subsidize the cost draining other places.

Ask Cisco. China (Huawei) nearly killed it off as a company altogether. It was China that forced Cisco to shed 5,000 jobs end of last year.

My company, when you look at number of boxes sold and installed, is doing OK. Until you know the price was 70% lower than in the West, which brings no margin, just to maintain our presence there.

wrong like most of your generalizations!

there are those who use China as a manufacturing base for cheap labor. Apple for example let all its products manufacture in China by Foxconn and other CEM. Isn't it successful?

others sell successfully in China; Gobbie has mentioned Yum; there are many companies in the luxury good sector, who make a lot of money in China; in paharmaceuticals, high tech etc.

you mentioned Volkswagen; they were one of the first foreigners in China 2-3 decades ago; back then only JV with local companies were possible. but to say they just watch and let the local run operations is far away from reality. but they make money!

GM had more troubles with their home based operation then with their Chinese

Cisco: they also let most of their gear manufacture in China and they even make money selling in China. Their problem is the aggressive price competition by their chinese rivals like Huawei. They face this competition not only in China but globally

another foreign company which is very successful in China is by the way Charoenphokbhand from....Thailand!

I think what TTM says, it's still the same culture with a few Western gadgets.

Culture is in the home, the way the family is structured, they way their religion works, the respect system within their society...

Broad but exactly the drift I am with.

Look at this one, litelally flying into your face:

360_gothai.jpg

(pic taken at Nagoya Chubu airport)

The logo is flower of love, "dok raak". What is specific is, that very flower never grows alone, always in clusters. Symbolizes Thai family and love for each other and the society as a whole.

Versus rampant individualism on the West.

There is room for both in Thailand - I have no idea why Thais would walk past street vendors to go to a McDonalds, but they do, and KFC is definitely seen as a treat. They might not be as fat as many of us in the West - yet - but they will get there. How a chain like A&M can make money selling absolute crap in a country with such fantastic street food is a mystery to me, but their doors remain open.

There is room for both in Thailand - I have no idea why Thais would walk past street vendors to go to a McDonalds, but they do, and KFC is definitely seen as a treat. They might not be as fat as many of us in the West - yet - but they will get there. How a chain like A&M can make money selling absolute crap in a country with such fantastic street food is a mystery to me, but their doors remain open.

sorry what is A&M?

Archived