Thailand Is Being Westernized!

think_too_mut

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is "western" here? Those carts have been around 50 years before Mcdonalds was formed.

Among other things, the carts like that made me say "my ass" to "Thailand is being westernized" in the topic title.

Not a thing western about the cart. But it is Asian fast food you can walk and eat. Still, it is more of an exception. Most Thai fast food is something you sit down to eat or take home. Furthermore, in the past it was considered impolite to walk and eat. Even if it was a roti or an ice cream bar, you stood in one place and finished it. I see plenty of walking and eating these days.

As to Thailand's being "westernised", I'd say it is largely superficial. There may be KFCs, McDonald's etc all over Bangkok and other big cities, but the average Thai simply cannot afford them. A single meal would cost a big part of the working class Thais' daily income.

When the huge "blimp hanger" building was opened that now houses Immigration at Jaeng Wattana, the basement was full of fancy restaurants and coffee shops - fast food, western food, Japanese restaurants, Starbuck's clones etc. Now they are almost all gone. A Chester's Grill and a couple of small Japanese places are all that remain. Not even Thai civil servants like to spend 100+ baht on lunch every day. They go to the much cheaper Thai food cafeteria.

But I do see big changes in habits. Thirty years ago my university banned male and female students dancing with each other. Boys danced with boys, girls with girls. They could not even use the same umbrella or ride on the same bicycle. That went out a few years later, though you still almost never saw mixed genders holding hands. Nowadays I see students holding hands or even kissing on campus. I've asked students what it meant. They told me when they see a couple behaving like that in public, they take it for granted they are doing much more in private. I was well aware that some students were sleeping together in the past, but they were discrete about it. Now they don't seem to care who knows. These are middle class Thais, but I see working class secondary students doing the same thing now and then. I hear older Thais complaining about it too.

Respect for age and position is also much less. I remember when a teacher walking down a corridor was like Moses parting the Red Sea. Now you have to fight your way through. Last term I noticed the university had put up signs in Thai: "Please let the archan enter the lift first." Such a sign would have been unheard of 20 years ago. I don't know if that is becoming westernised, but it is a  big change. 

Not a thing western about the cart. But it is Asian fast food you can walk and eat. Still, it is more of an exception. Most Thai fast food is still something you sit down to eat or take home.

"Walk and eat" was my way to distinguish what is generic fast food. I would not walk and eat but with Mac I could. With Asian, I don't know how.

But I do see big changes in habits. Thirty years ago my university banned male and female students dancing with each other. They could not even use the same umbrella or ride on the same bicycle. That went out a few years later, though you still almost never saw mixed genders holding hands. Nowadays I see students holding hands or even kissing on campus.

I doubt it's Thai thing. That liberalization started from the West and was new to there too.

Just consider this:

Keith Richards: "Without us (The Rolling Stones) you would not be able to kiss your girfriend in the street".

In my 13 years here in Thailand I have seen Thailand change a lot. Especially the youth. They are much more open and willing to talk about things and discuss things and even ask advice from a foreigner. Something the older (30+) generations still wouldn't do.

Also in villages were I go and play comedy a lot of things have changed. Japanese/Korean/Western haircuts very prominent on the youngsters. They also try out new things. The amount of times I get proposed to do "naughty" things by youg women and girls is staggering. This didn't happen 5 years ago! The last 2 years though it is becoming more and more rampant. Just yesterday after playing comedy a young girl (I guess 15 or so) came behind stage and asked me to take a picture with her. Then when no one else was looking she lifted up her shirt and asked me if I wanted to play with them. I refused, but that is how much society and culture has changed here!

Yep - they were much better off with centuries of easy access to cheap Opium, right ?

Personally, I think this is a storm in a teacup - TTM seems more impressed with the resilience of Japanese culture than anything specific to Thailand. I suspect that many older Japanese would see things very differently, but either way I dont give a hoot as long as I can find indoor plumbing and reliable electricity supply in Asia. Everything else is window dressing for a visitor and increasingly for expats who can spend years in country without even learning the language.

TTM, the next time you find yourself prone to posting about Japanese cultural superiority, please include this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g8_3MS9x50

We frequently talk about corruption in Thailand - its endemic in Japan. Why else would successive governments lie to their own people about the 'safety' of nuclear power plants, then try to cover up the post-tsunami disaster at Fukushima ?

You think opium has the same effect on people as ya-ba?

They had it lying around for teenagers to smoke?

Right.

In my 13 years here in Thailand I have seen Thailand change a lot. Especially the youth. They are much more open and willing to talk about things and discuss things and even ask advice from a foreigner. Something the older (30+) generations still wouldn't do.

That could be you learning Thai or them learning English.

Compared to Japan, Thai might appear as a cosmopolitan country. It's a policy of learning English, visas and jobs in teaching.

Still, I see no change in the fundaments.

Also in villages were I go and play comedy a lot of things have changed. Japanese/Korean/Western haircuts very prominent on the youngsters. They also try out new things. The amount of times I get proposed to do "naughty" things by youg women and girls is staggering. This didn't happen 5 years ago! The last 2 years though it is becoming more and more rampant. Just yesterday after playing comedy a young girl (I guess 15 or so) came behind stage and asked me to take a picture with her. Then when no one else was looking she lifted up her shirt and asked me if I wanted to play with them. I refused, but that is how much society and culture has changed here!

An anegdote that hardly reflects any serious change. I have had some experiences like that but nothing significant.

Don't get me wrong: I am all for Thais continuing the way they are. That can not be changed.

The most Western oriented was Thaksin and the tradition went after him. Expelled him from the country.

OK, he may have stretched his powers, but can you imagine Tony Blair ousting David Cameron and sending him to the jail?

While that was happening in Thai, people went to the streets not to protest but to take pictures with the tanks and military.

Another drivel of yours, as usual. Worthless post as is 99% of the clueless litter you spam the board with.

You constructed that bullshit about japanese superiority just to post that junk that you dragged from the net.

You just demonstrated what a racist is hiding behind all the moronic posts of yours.

:closemouth: :closemouth:

So, how is Thailand being "westernized"? In no way.

A credit to your post, yes, that is how it looks. But nothing new to me.

I think it is right obvious that thai is being westernized. If for no less of evidence of cell phone use. 100% a western creation. Now what house does not have one. I can name a ton more. I think your days at the Jap Emb give you some credibility but it all ended the day you left. I have been coming here for ten years, assigned here the last 3, and the changes are astounding in my view. Take again the advent of WiFi, Google, and FaceBook. 100% western. Cali USA tech. What lowly bar girl does not use them? Which one does not know the names?? That sir is a cultural shift that did not exist even five years ago.

I dont know what you consider "westernized" but having wifi and a face book account and using gMaps and search seem to define it to me.

Archived