Vietnam - Ha Noi

Coss

You see it all the time on city buses - grey haired adults giving their seat to some old brat. I remember S Tsow coming home one day fit to be tied. He'd given up his seat to a pregnant woman, who smiled and thanked him. But she got off at the next stop, and a 10 year old boy dived at. Tsow ended up standing for the next 20 minutes home. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This veneration of boys, explains why some men are such unlikeable characters in SEA. 25 years ago in Japan, I was approaching the busy entrance of a supermarket. Two 10 yr old boys arrived on their bicycles, which they dumped across the entrance, leaving barely room for people to single file around them, no complaints, nothing. When I got there I unceremoniously turfed the bikes into the gutter, and got told off, by my (then) Japanese wife.

The difference in the treatment of boys and girls is remarkable. Boys may do whatever they want, but girls must sit still and behave themselves. I'd say it is an Asian thing, not just SE Asian. When I taught up north, the female students had to be in the girls' dorms by 9pm, when the doors were LOCKED. Anyone returning late had to ring the bell and seek admission, explaining why they were out after hours. Meanwhile, the boys were out carousing and probably going to the brothels.

You see it all the time on city buses - grey haired adults giving their seat to some old brat. I remember S Tsow coming home one day fit to be tied. He'd given up his seat to a pregnant woman, who smiled and thanked him. But she got off at the next stop, and a 10 year old boy dived at. Tsow ended up standing for the next 20 minutes home. :)

on a slighty different subject,i shake my head at the rudeness of drivers these days.

i was late in learning to drive but have always thought of myself as a safe driver.

i've driven in the UK,USA,Australia and various European Countries without mishap.

i had what could have been a fatal accident a few Years ago and now i drive more slowly and just take my time.

if i've got a 200 Mile journey i don't care if 1000 vechicles pass me and i pass none,as long as i get to my destination safely.

but i do get pissed off with drivers who don't give way when i have the right of way,quite often i give way when i don't have too.

i don't like drivers who don't acknowledge me with some kind of thanks when i give them the advantage when i don't have too.people who drive dangerously just to gain a extra car length of space if in a queue.

i often shake my head observing drivers if i'm a pedestrian.

but maybe it's just me......... :dunno:

:yeahthat: Thats one thing that annoys me - when you drive a safe distance behind the car in front and then some twit overtakes you and fills the gap.....all that just to gain a few feet :banghead:

it's the lorries and coaches which also frighten me.

in bad weather they race along at high speeds and many of the lorries have long trailers which wobble from side to side as they speed,you've really got to concentrate if heavy rain is falling and all the spray coming up from the road.

as i say i'm in no hurry and happy to drive at 50/60 MPH and will often pull off the road if i think things are getting scary for me.

Archived