Stupid....lucky...or Both?

Dumsoda

This week (Tuesday) I was in Bkk for a night.

Had been recovering from a surgical procedure "Beach side" for a week and had to re visit my Doctor at Suriraj

Stopped by to visit my (not so) old friend the Black Tiger.....and partook of a couple of liquid refreshments.

Then off to visit my ex at her Bar........

We had a great (Platonic) time.....and at some ungodly hour of the morning....I staggered off into the night

Dunno where....dunno when.....but at some stage of my staggering back to my Hotel.....I was accosted on the street....

I felt the hand extracting my wallet from the back pocket of my jeans.....

I grabbed the left hand....with my right....and launched my best shot straight left.....full force from the hip.....BANG

Still have the scar on my middle finger from the hit....lol

My estimate is a broken nose and a couple of very loose front teeth

Still had trouble recovering my wallet....... pinned "it" to a wall......and said....give it back or you die.....

I got it back.....

It wasn't big money....maybe only 15k.....but cards that are a pain in the arse to replace....

Didn't even think about it at the time....but probably lucky I didn't get stabbed

First time in 25 years of visiting Bkk this has ever happened to me

Hope it's the last

Be careful out there....and keep your wallet in a front pocket.....with your hand on it

Cheers DS

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently, it happened twice in the same night.

Sorry Flash

Sorry Flash

Living in the Jungle with an Aircard is a pain

Living in the Jungle with an Aircard is a pain

My most humble apologies

My most humble apologies

Cheers DS

Cheers DS

Cheers DS

I've been trying to figure out he did that. Both have the identical time. I've sometimes managed to double post, but they have been in the same thread and with consecutive dates. :hmmm:

Also, when it has happened I haven't been able to delete the duplicate. Best I could manage was to change the colour on the duplicate to white and have a blank post. :dunno:

I've been trying to figure out he did that. Both have the identical time. I've sometimes managed to double post, but they have been in the same thread and with consecutive dates. :hmmm:

Also, when it has happened I haven't been able to delete the duplicate. Best I could manage was to change the colour on the duplicate to white and have a blank post. :dunno:

Flash,

I too am confused as to how it happened....I only hit the post button 1 time

I did not know it was a double post until I read your comment and then I went back and tried to delete the duplicate...

But got msg.......You are not authorized to edit this post

Maybe the time limit had expired by then....I dunno???

Maybe KS will be kind enough to delete the duplicate

Cheers DS

DS,

I would say "Rather Fortunate" would sum up your encounter.

I never understand why a foreigner in Thailand feels the need to carry all their cards on their person, especially foreign issued ones which are more difficult to replace.

You also state that it was "only a small sum of money", sorry but 15,000 THB is quite a lot of money to your average Thai in and around the red light districts, it is well above the average monthly salary, would you consider walking through Kings X in Sydney with AUD 8,000 in your pocket? I very much doubt it.

Personally I would not carry my cards with me except for a local issued ATM card for an account with 10-15K THB in it, and never more than 10K cash for a night out. If some little skunk decides that I am easy pickings I would just let them have it and walk away, very good chance I could cancel the ATM card before they got their hands onto the account.

Chalk it down to experience and be a bit more careful in the future.

This week (Tuesday) I was in Bkk for a night.

Middle finger injury eh? That's kinda neat. Did they put a cast on it? :)

On a serious note - on the 5 times I've been to Bangkok I pretty much live off of two ATM cards (though leave back-up one and some cash in safe). Losing the cards could definitely be ugly. I carried one of those hidden wallets on my first trip but it was too much of a hassle and I thought the pickpocket stories were probably embellished, so gave that up.

But I guess they're not.

Sorry you had to go through it, right out of hospital too. Your ferocity probably caught the wanker by surprise, maybe now he'll be a little more hesitant in the future.

Glad I haven't experienced anything like that. Knock on the proverbial wood.

DS,

I would say "Rather Fortunate" would sum up your encounter.

I never understand why a foreigner in Thailand feels the need to carry all their cards on their person, especially foreign issued ones which are more difficult to replace.

Chalk it down to experience and be a bit more careful in the future.

Kong,

it was only Thai Cards, but included my Driving License, my Siriraj Hospital Cards and my K Bank Cards

I know from last time I lost my License, it's a pain in the butt to get a replacement. Had to drive 200kms to Korat Immi to get Certificate of Residence before I could get a new license.

Ahh well....all's well that ends well......

It was all Miss P's fault for getting me hammered....LOL

Cheers DS

Archived