Stupid....lucky...or Both?

Dumsoda

This week (Tuesday) I was in Bkk for a night.

Had been recovering from a surgical procedure "Beach side" for a week and had to re visit my Doctor at Suriraj

Stopped by to visit my (not so) old friend the Black Tiger.....and partook of a couple of liquid refreshments.

Then off to visit my ex at her Bar........

We had a great (Platonic) time.....and at some ungodly hour of the morning....I staggered off into the night

Dunno where....dunno when.....but at some stage of my staggering back to my Hotel.....I was accosted on the street....

I felt the hand extracting my wallet from the back pocket of my jeans.....

I grabbed the left hand....with my right....and launched my best shot straight left.....full force from the hip.....BANG

Still have the scar on my middle finger from the hit....lol

My estimate is a broken nose and a couple of very loose front teeth

Still had trouble recovering my wallet....... pinned "it" to a wall......and said....give it back or you die.....

I got it back.....

It wasn't big money....maybe only 15k.....but cards that are a pain in the arse to replace....

Didn't even think about it at the time....but probably lucky I didn't get stabbed

First time in 25 years of visiting Bkk this has ever happened to me

Hope it's the last

Be careful out there....and keep your wallet in a front pocket.....with your hand on it

Cheers DS

Lucky escape

think what could have happened, if there were seven of them all Kung Fu and stilettos...

Buddha was smiling on you....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kong,

it was only Thai Cards, but included my Driving License, my Siriraj Hospital Cards and my K Bank Cards

I know from last time I lost my License, it's a pain in the butt to get a replacement. Had to drive 200kms to Korat Immi to get Certificate of Residence before I could get a new license.

Ahh well....all's well that ends well......

It was all Miss P's fault for getting me hammered....LOL

Cheers DS

My mistake DS,

I presumed from your OP that you had a couple of Cards / ID from Aus on you as well, my mistake. For us city slickers it's just a matter of popping to the end of the Soi to the bank head offices to cancel ATM cards and get replacements, a quick phone call to my "Mrs Fix-It" can get me residence letter from Chaeng Wattana within half a day etc.

I often forget about you country bumpkins are living out there in the sticks and lose all sense when you hit the bright lights of the big city. :neener:

...Personally I would not carry my cards with me except for a local issued ATM card for an account with 10-15K THB in it, and never more than 10K cash for a night out. If some little skunk decides that I am easy pickings I would just let them have it and walk away, very good chance I could cancel the ATM card before they got their hands onto the account...

If someone does steal your ATM card what can they do with it? If they don't know your PIN then it's useless to them, isn't it?

I get all my spending money when travelling by ATM withdrawals from a foreign account. If I had my card stolen it would cause me a lot of hassle but I don't see how my funds would be at risk?

If someone does steal your ATM card what can they do with it? If they don't know your PIN then it's useless to them, isn't it?

I get all my spending money when travelling by ATM withdrawals from a foreign account. If I had my card stolen it would cause me a lot of hassle but I don't see how my funds would be at risk?

Munchie, exactly, but being a locally issued card it is easily replaceable.

I am surprised that you don't have a local bank account, having lived and worked here previously, to cut out the risk / hassle of losing for foreign issued ATM card.

Guest lazyphil

Munchie, exactly, but being a locally issued card it is easily replaceable.

I am surprised that you don't have a local bank account, having lived and worked here previously, to cut out the risk / hassle of losing for foreign issued ATM card.

i had my debit card cloned here in blighty, most probably at a petrol station in town fom all accounts, had 2x£500 drawn out of my account in india!...my bank eventually covered the amount :surprised:

i had my debit card cloned here in blighty, most probably at a petrol station in town fom all accounts, had 2x£500 drawn out of my account in india!...my bank eventually covered the amount :surprised:

i got my credit card copied in India and the same day, somebody tried to use it in....London!

I got the same day a call from my credit card company, whether I used it in India and London the same day; it was immediately blocked and no damage

Kong,

it was only Thai Cards, but included my Driving License, my Siriraj Hospital Cards and my K Bank Cards

I know from last time I lost my License, it's a pain in the butt to get a replacement. Had to drive 200kms to Korat Immi to get Certificate of Residence before I could get a new license.

Ahh well....all's well that ends well......

It was all Miss P's fault for getting me hammered....LOL

Cheers DS

Read your post with interest. I try to carry the bulk of my money including an ID in a concealed pocket inside the waist band of my trousers. Its somewhat difficult to get money out (sometimes it looks as if I might be trying to get at myself) but at least I'd still have the money. I'd normally keep a small amount in the normal pocket so at least they have something to aim for.

Having read what you did to him/her I'd be very concerned for my own safety after that in case he/she showed up again with help to teach you a lesson.

I wouldn't trust the bastards.

The same goes for BG's who you have to eject from your room for failing to carry out their duties - especially if you send them on their way without any payment. They, afterall know where you live and it'd be easy enough to ambush you later and possibly get their own back. I wouldn't like to cross any of them.

personally i never normally go out with anything i might lose,sometimes my ATM card if i think i might need it.

i don't carry a wallet in the UK,so why should i in Thailand?.

and i never put anything but cigarettes in back pockets,that is an invitation to be robbed IMO.

any valuables are in the front pockets and much more difficult to pickpocket.

i don't need a phone while in Thailand so that is one less thing to worry about.

like Mr.Munchmaster i tend to withdraw cash from the ATM when i need it,but i lost my card a few Years ago and so easy to phone home and arrange funds to be sent to a Thai bank and for me to pick up within a few hours depending on the time difference.

It is possible for an ATM thief to attach a device to the ATM machine to record the pin number and the information on the magnetic strip on the back of the card. I rarely carry my Debit card with me at home but do use it almost exclusively while travelling. I do make it a point that I check the bank account online every day while away to see if there is any activity that I do not recognise. I also keep most funds in a separate bank account and can tranfer the money while online, so at the most, I leave $550 in the ATM account at one time (unless I plan on using the card for a large purchase). I have carried large amounts on me, coming to LOS from the U.S., including $22,000 one time, while I was building my house in Chiang Mai. Having that amount on me (Very well hidden) did make me nervous enough that I haven't repeated it. I will add to the chorus that you were lucky. Some of you might remember on my third trip to LOS, I was walking on Sukimvit (sp), not in the best of moods and after having 3-4 beers, I decided to argue with a vendor that was cheating me (for a small amount). We got into a fight, which ended rather quickly, when one of his friends picked up a chair from behind and hit me over the head with it. It broke my nose and severely cut and damaged my left eye (my lucky eye, as I was hit there with a rock during recess in the 3rd grade). I couldn't open the eye for 5 days. Fortunately, there was no permanent damage (I did have to have cataract surgery 3 years later on the eye, sooner than I would have had to have it) but I have taken to heart the warning that Thais can be like a band of wild dogs. If you stand your ground to one, the others will attack.

Archived