Hunt For Phuket Scaremonger

gobbledonk

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why Buddhists would place any creedence in the rantings of an American bible-thumper, but then these 'prophets' are all cut from the same all-knowing cloth, arent they ? Havent heard much from Nostradamus of late - must be time someone raked over those coals and came up with something that ties in with the Mayan calendar for 2012 .....

Phuket rumours a real estate racket

The people who spread the rumours that Phuket will sink into the sea on April 28 are thought to be trying to make property prices on the tourist resort island fall for the sake of investment opportunities, the director of the Environmental Geology Bureau says.

Lertsin Raksasakulwong on Monday expressed confidence that any earthquakes that occur on Phuket in the future will not exceed magnitude 5 and that it was impossible for the island province to be sunk by quakes as claimed in leaflets distributed widely across the island.

The controversy followed the recent earthquakes and probably was the work of ill-intentioned people trying to create negative rumours to serve their purposes.

Mr Lertsin said he believed the rumours were intended to bring down land prices after which investors would buy property to turn a profit.

“Phuket island is on a large granite rock mass foundation which is as deep as 27 kilometres below the ground surface. Whether a big earthquake or an atomic bomb occurs, it will definitely not sink,†Mr Lertsin said.

Phuket governor Tree Akharadecha has filed a complaint with police against those behind the creation and distribution of the leaflets.

The leaflets warned Phuket residents to leave the tourist resort town before next Saturday because the island would be hit by such a severe natural disaster that it will sink into the sea.

The warning was claimed to be a prophecy of Kuan Yin (the Chinese goddess of mercy and compassion) and from Thao Thep Kasattri and Thao Sisunthon (also known as Chan and Mook), the two heroines who rallied the islanders to drive back an invading Burmese army in 1785.

My link

any idea of what time roughly this will happen?....i await with breath held.

parts of Phuket were badly damaged by the 2004 Tsunami and when i visited 6 Months later there was still a lot of damage to be seen and much repair work in progress.

but i think back and realise that Phuket was rather lucky in the amount of lives lost.

if it had happened 6 Hours earlier then many places would have packed with people and in the dark,alcohol drunk taken into account i think there would have been a lot of panic.

at the time my friends bar was around 300 Yards from the shoreline and in an off-street area but the bar closed for 4 Days due to the damage caused by the water.

if it had happened on the night of Christmas day/Boxing Day last Year i would have been in the thick of it and in turmoil.

as it was i lost a close friend in the Tsunami who should'nt have been where she was at the time....

why don't we ever read of these "seers" winning the lottery?

I would expect the "seers"/Moh Doo of Phuket to generally have better skills than their peers living inland.

As the big wawe took away those who did not see it coming and only left those with true clairvoyance.... :dunno:

The leaflets warned Phuket residents to leave the tourist resort town

Which one? So, only one town will sink. That is a relief.

Hi,

"The people who spread the rumours that Phuket will sink into the sea on April 28 are thought to be trying to make property prices on the tourist resort island fall for the sake of investment opportunities"

People who believe this crap are likely not the most astute of investors.

I can't imagine any property having its prices lowered over such a moronic rumor.

Sanuk!

Did you see the photos from a Canadian tourist's camera? The guy and his wife were near the beach at the time the tsunami struck. You can see huge brown waves in the distance, rapidly approaching the shore as tourists ignore them and romp on the beach. The Canuck stands his ground and keeps shooting away as the water rushes over everything, eventually engulfing both him and his wife, dragging them out to sea where they perished.

People just stood watching instead of running like hell as the wave hit! I don't know if it happening in the daytime or at night would have made that much difference. :(

Hi,

"The people who spread the rumours that Phuket will sink into the sea on April 28 are thought to be trying to make property prices on the tourist resort island fall for the sake of investment opportunities"

People who believe this crap are likely not the most astute of investors.

I can't imagine any property having its prices lowered over such a moronic rumor.

Sanuk!

Agreed, and I also wonder exactly how these masterminds intended to cash in on the panic by pressuring sellers to settle any transaction before next Saturday ...... gotta love the fact that someone went to the trouble of printing leaflets instead of just telling random Thais about the 'prophecy'. Amazing Thailand.

Archived