Friday Meetings All Done Now?

TheCorinthian

When I lived up north, I kept a kerosine lamp handy. Every time there was a heavy rain, the city would turn off the power! The reason apparently was in case any lines went down, but it meant you went without electricity until the next morning, when they could go and check all the lines. I spent many an evening sitting in my house on the university campus with just a kerosine lamp to lessen the darkness.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the chocolate all melted? :dunno:

Fortunately it is not hot enough to melt the chocolate. The hotel is hot as the room is closed up and the generator doesn't have enough grunt to power the central aircon. The frigde still has power so the beer and choc is cold. ;-)

And the "corner stores" tend to be runbe Lebanese who are organised enough to put in generators. Little glimmers of light in the darkness. I understand now whey they call Africa - The Dark Continent.

Ah - just realised. The fooking fridge will be making the room hotter. But if I switch that off no cold beer for breakfast. A true dilema.

Cheers,

MArk

Mark,

Do you have a web page for your place? URL please?

Cent

Good to hear from you mate, look forward to that beer when I get back. I decided against the website - the grils don't really want their pics up and without that there does not seem much point.

There is a Facebook site - search on Bar4 Nana and you will find it. A few geneal pics are there.

Cheers,

Mark

I'd definitely go for Bar4. Good bar and nice people. :beer:

Wonder how Mark got banished to West Africa. Must have done something really bad to deserve that. :hmmm:

Kinda. It's called keeping the resume fresh. I hadn't worked in my "proper" job for 2 years and an offer came. Took it as after 2 years it can be difficult to break back in. And I think it wise to hedge your bets in Thailand. Whilst the bar is doing great - actually better since I left :-( - things can change I guess.

And as it turns out my old boss has just landed a gig in Senegal and is talking about getting me there. Fook, I wanna be back in Soi 4 drinking beers.

Cheers,

Mark

Soi 8 Pub (kiwi owner?) is a good place for meetings IMHO it's about 50 paces from the Nana Skytrain station. Also 50 paces from my fave hotel.

Dave sold the Soi 8 Pub and has opened a brand new similar style Pub in Soi 22..... where Larry's Dive used to be.

Walked past last week ...looks good

Not that it really concerns me as I don't get to Bkk much these days. but for my :twocents: why not keep things "In house" and support Mark at Bar 4

With recent history the extra 2 or 3 customers a week will make him a millionaire in no time (as long as he doesn't offer Free Food)....lol

Cheers DS

Ahhh.... fair call 'Kong

Didn't really think about food

But...somehow...I seem to recall them doing burgers and stuff...maybe not a full on Restaurant.... but...Hey....this is LOS....If that's the case I'm sure Mark's guys could get take out from nearby for the starving masses.

If you were looking at somewhere to turn on Free Food.....hark back to Los Cabos....it didn't draw in any huge numbers. Besides I very much doubt the Soi 8 Pub would be handing out freebies

Let the balloon chasers eat cake.....or chase balloons ...as the case may be

When I lived up north, I kept a kerosine lamp handy. Every time there was a heavy rain, the city would turn off the power! The reason apparently was in case any lines went down, but it meant you went without electricity until the next morning, when they could go and check all the lines. I spent many an evening sitting in my house on the university campus with just a kerosine lamp to lessen the darkness.

I've been working in Alabama, US, the last several years. About a year ago, we had a MAJOR tornado system go through, and it took out ALL of the distribution power lines for the northern part of the state.

The power was off for five days. No telephone, no cellphone, no internet, no nothing. The local radio broadcasters were up, presumably on generators.

Local places started hauling in generator vans. Interesting scene at one local store, watching people sitting and charging all kinds of batteries.

I'd never before realized just how important artificial light is to civilization.

Archived