Eva Air Will Be New Star Alliance Member

Horneytorney

I am flying 99% of my flights on Star Alliance; never flew EVA

are they good or bad? in comparison to TG?

heard that they use Bangkok as hub to Europe: to where?

the old Taoyuan airport outside Taipei is of course a pretty lousy hub!

http://www.staralliance.com/en/press/eva-air-prp/

I've flown EVA 90% of the time from California to SEA over the last 12 years. I consider the airline "good", though not "excellent" (and certainly not "bad"). Until recently, fares were pretty good. But with consolidation of airlines, available seating has been cut from the U.S. and correspondingly higher fares seem to rule the skies these days. I've stayed with EVA for these main reasons: superior schedule going and returning; competitive fares; good service; very good on-time performance.

I've only flown TG a couple of times. About the same as EVA, IMO. I don't get a boner over either. Unless you prefer Thai girls over Chinese "tail", not much difference.

BKK as a "hub" for EVA. Haven't heard of that. Don't think it's true. Easy enough to check out on EVA's website. See where you want to start from and check the routings. Flights from Aus "may" stop in BKK, but I think it is only in connection with an onward flight...not to transfer to other planes for destinations in multiple directions (which is my understanding of a "hub").

HH

BKK as a "hub" for EVA. Haven't heard of that. Don't think it's true. Easy enough to check out on EVA's website. See where you want to start from and check the routings. Flights from Aus "may" stop in BKK, but I think it is only in connection with an onward flight...not to transfer to other planes for destinations in multiple directions (which is my understanding of a "hub").

a bit complicate!

what i did is on flightstats, chose BKK airport and looked at arrival and departure of Eva

today they have incoming flights from Vienna and London and outgoing to London and Amsterdam (beside 2 flights from and to Taipei). those come with 2 digit flight number so likely not codeshare!

so seems to be true for at least 3 destinations in Europe...

Check the flight numbers! Those are direct flights from/to TPE.

A hub has a bank of flights arriving at the airport and then a bank of flights leaving a few hours later. For example, Delta has a hub at NRT. EVA's hub is TPE.

no they are not. seems that Eva has at least 2 flights per day to European destinations (London, Amsterdam, Vienna); probably they fly TPE-BKK-Europe and back. Some kind of Mini Hub. flights seem to arrive and leave around noon.

of course not comparable with Delta and United in Narita

BKK is indeed a hub for EVA....

Why do you think so? And what is your definition of a "hub". Seemingly, your idea of a "hub" is vastly different than that used by the industry. In fact, EVA only lists it's single hub in Taiwan. As pointed out by another poster, only 2 flights/day in and out of BKK. Same flight numbers that originate in Taipei and the European cities it serves. Merely "stops" for refueling and discharge and add passengers. No more of a "hub" for EVA than Delhi. 5555555555

HH

Guest lazyphil

I am flying 99% of my flights on Star Alliance; never flew EVA

are they good or bad? in comparison to TG?

heard that they use Bangkok as hub to Europe: to where?

the old Taoyuan airport outside Taipei is of course a pretty lousy hub!

http://www.staralliance.com/en/press/eva-air-prp/

always fly eva to bkk now, very good imo and always the best non stop price

I've only flown TG a couple of times. About the same as EVA, IMO. I don't get a boner over either. Unless you prefer Thai girls over Chinese "tail", not much difference.

HH

Reading a German Thai related forum sometimes I got the impression that many frequent Thai travelers are moving away from Thai Air.

On the route FR-BKK Thai has very old planes and they are not cheap (albeit Lufthansa can be much more expensive). Airlines like Emirates have a much more modern fleet and are cheaper, but they don't offer direct flights.

Archived