Buying Off The Net In Thailand ....

gobbledonk

Sorry guys - tried googling this but found the inevitable Thaivisa claims that I will pay some outrageous amount of the declared value in duties. Really keen to hear from someone who actually knows how it works.

If I bought the gear here and shipped it to Thailand when I move in 2014, I would still get slugged Customs duties - at least thats my understanding - they make exceptions for people with work permits, but I believe everyone else gets slugged.

Here in Oz, we dont pay anything on items under 1,000 AUD - if there is a Customs fee, it must be in the shipping cost. I've never seen it itemised in any of the goodies I've bought in from the UK and China, although the FedEx and UPS quotes on shipping from the US are astronomical. I know that importad cars are very expensive in Thailand, but I'm not looking to import a motorbike into a country that manufactures millions of the things ....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair point, but I dont plan to live there. Fly in, get what I want and fly out the next day. Easy peasy when its only a 2-hour flight, instead of the 8-hours I currently face. Hell, if I was prepared to sit on buses for two days I could bring back two suitcases full of gear and sell it to frustrated gear queers in LOS .....

Archived