New Night Market

Horneytorney

The problem is that Charoen Krung Road is such a bottleneck, one of the worse roads in Bangkok IMHO, nightmare.

It first opened about 3 months ago as a Chang Beer Garden on the riverside as the rest of the site was still under development but that has gone now.

I agree with your comments about limited menu choices, we were there last night and first tried the italian restaurant, everything I tried to order I got "Mai Mee", like why the fark do you have on a menu if you don't have it?, after 15 minutes of waiting for a drink we gave up and went elsewhere, like how difficult is it to pop the cap on a bottle and serve me.

Fortunately we found the Indian place, serves a cool tikka for 180 Baht and Miss Mekong commented they the pillai rice was the best she has ever tasted, she is from Chiang Mai so she knows her rice.

There were a fair few foreigners there last night, I'd say around 5%, a fair few more than you saw there.

Went to Flann O'Brien's bar and it was dead, less than 20 customers and given the size of the place it felt empty, you are correct Flann O'Brien is the Pen Name of Brian O'Nolan who also published works under the name of Myles na gCopaleen the name he used to write his column in The Irish Times under, he was Dublin's version of Bernard Trink.

Personally I don't think the place will make it, everything Suan Luang had, BTS and MRT access, close to CBD and "The Chimney Pots" (an old english saying) Asiatique does not have, I know its only 4KM from Sathorn but 32 minutes stationary time in a taxi and 105 Baht fee does not make it that attractive even though the majority of the small stores there are ex OTOP Suan Luang, 6 months and it will be a white elephant.

What stuns me about Thailand is the number of White Elephants that seem to limp along, year after year. Times Square and that weird 'Nana Shopping Mall' both seem to have oodles of high-priced Thai handicrafts, but I never see a soul in there actually buying anything when I go to use an ATM, look for an Asia Books/Kunokuniya or whatever. It might be a different type of clientele - like those shopfronts in The Adelphi in Singapore that virtually ban anyone who doesnt have an appointment and a platinum credit card ....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Times Square, Nana Shopping mall...you are living in a small world while in Bangkok, Gobbie!

explore a bit and you will see that Thai handicrafts are big business! Go to Naraiphand, City Complex, Silom village or to the more high end River City, Peninsula Plaza and OP Place

Go to Chiang Mai, where they have a long street with one factory after the other producing Thai handicrafts

I also think that the main target are not tourists but HiSo and Mid Class Thais and Expats; and those have anyway cars; they have parking for 2000 cars and accessibility by car is not so bad

And therein lies the problem, Charoen Krung Road is only 2 lanes at best but it is also a major bus route, so with parked cars Taxi's dropping off and picking up, buses stopping in outside lane to allow passengers to get on and off etc between 4-8PM traffic down there is slower than walking pace.

Times Square, Nana Shopping mall...you are living in a small world while in Bangkok, Gobbie!

explore a bit and you will see that Thai handicrafts are big business! Go to Naraiphand, City Complex, Silom village or to the more high end River City, Peninsula Plaza and OP Place

Go to Chiang Mai, where they have a long street with one factory after the other producing Thai handicrafts

I know - you dont pay for all that aircon on 2 sales a day. I'll also have you know that I have travelled as far afield as Tawan Daeng - BOTH of them. :stirthepo

Guest lazyphil

no mention of koh kret weekend market?, meh, whaddaya know? :evilpumpkin: . silom village is a over priced disneyland shopping experience :elephant:

I'm working from old info, but one of the books I bought back in 2010 - probably the best book I've read on how to survive LOS, esp BKK - claimed that many Farang came to Thailand thinking they could make a 'killing' buying handicrafts from the markets. The author was quick to point out that Thais who do have something collectible know exactly what its worth - the 'Pickers' fantasy of walking up to stall and finding something worth thousands going for peanuts is just that - a fantasy. He also pointed out how dimly the Thais view anyone trying to sell their heritage to overseas buyers - when you see what happens elsewhere, I don't blame them. Inevitably, cash must be changing hands to move artefacts, but I'd hate to be a Thai caught looting temples.

I cant recall the name of the book, but it was in a similar vein to this one:

Very Thai

BTW, ThaiVisa claims I wont have to pay customs duty on books I buy from the net - yahoo! I guess there really IS a Buddha

I know two persons, who make some money from exporting handicrafts and clothes out from Thailand and selling in their homecountry. One from USA and one from Europe.

But they have built up their rather special sales channels in their homecountry well. They do not earn a fortune but at least make some money.

but forget about the big volume business! Big factories in Thailand are looking for their own export channels and huge supermarket chains or wholesalers in USA or Europe are sourcing directly in thailand or asia

I knew a guy that'd do this, going home from Cambo with bags full of stuff. He'd set up in a local market until it was all sold and then shoot back to Cambo.

He never got rich, but at the time he was in a repeating cycle that saw him in Cambo et al, six months of the year.

Archived