New Night Market

Horneytorney

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As it was heavily advertised, I decided to take a look myself last weekend

The Asiatique Riverfront

http://www.asiatiquethailand.com/en/index.php

they have rebuilt some old warehouses at the Chao Phraya River into a large shopping and dining complex at the Chao Phraya River. It is at Charoen Krung Road, between Taksin bridge and Rama III. Best access is by BTS to Taksin Bridge station and from there are free shuttle boats around every 10-15 minutes from 5pm close to midnight

there is a pathwalk between the river and the buildings which is quite impressive

Despite a Grand Opening last week, things are still a bit slow. Many of the bigger restaurants, in particular the ones at the River Front (which are supposed to be more high end) are still closed. There is a large food court with many different small restaurants, but many were serving only a reduced menu or just drinks. Open were the usual Fast Food restaurants. As it was very hot outside, I had some beers in a Irish Pub called Flann O'Brien (i am not Irish, but I think this is a writer from the first half of last century?). It was ok but it has not (yet) the atmosphere you find usually in such pubs.

The shop concept is pretty close to the one of Suan Lumpini night market. But only a third have already opened.

Later they will add Joe Louis Puppet theater and the unavoidable Calypso Cabaret

what is missing in comparison to Suan Lum are the huge beer gardens that were so popular. In some area it looks like they are going to build one, but much smaller than in Suan Lum

It was quite crowded this weekend with 99% locals; very few foreigners

We will see how this is going to develop

The replacement for Suan Luam..."officially" and in spirit...is called something like "Siam Paradise" and is on the Skytrain a few stops southeast of On Nut...can't remember the exact stop. Around Sukh 90-something? (but on the even-numbered-soi side of the street)

I went there once last year, it was a pretty pathetic shadow of Suan Lum at its prime...mostly empty stalls, some lame folk-singers playing, mediocre food (god, I miss that Suan Lum Night Bazaar huge food court and cheesy musical entertainment!)

The replacement for Suan Luam..."officially" and in spirit...is called something like "Siam Paradise" and is on the Skytrain a few stops southeast of On Nut...can't remember the exact stop. Around Sukh 90-something? (but on the even-numbered-soi side of the street)

I went there once last year, it was a pretty pathetic shadow of Suan Lum at its prime...mostly empty stalls, some lame folk-singers playing, mediocre food (god, I miss that Suan Lum Night Bazaar huge food court and cheesy musical entertainment!)

yes it was already mentioned in this thread; it is on Suk Soi 64, opposite to Soi 101..and agree with your comment!

Archived